Skip to main content

Goodies

Good morning!  Isn't life wonderful?

If you feel like throwing your coffee at me for being so perky on a Monday morning, don't worry, if I try hard enough, I can find lots to complain about.

My tongue still hurts like CRAZY, which is really pissing me off since my cracker accident happened last Wednesday.  And I can't even elicit much sympathy from Adam who thinks I'm quackers for hurting myself in such an absurb manner.  In my defence, it really hurts to either talk or eat, and since I do so much of both, it's basically hurting all the time!

It's also COLD here in Toronto after weeks of spring and summer like weather, which meant a bit of a battle this morning trying to convince the girls that they had to wear their winter jackets.

Big A discovered that one of her top front teeth is starting to get wiggly, which made her unwilling to eat breakfast and cry all the way to school because she claimed it hurt so much.  Adam and I are convinced she has the lowest pain tolerance of anyone on this planet.  A wiggly tooth can't possibly hurt as much as an injured tongue!

But honestly, such minor annoyances aside, life is good.  In fact, I am so stoked about the fact that I won an awesome gift basket from nutritionist, Marni Wassermanhttp://www.marniwasserman.com/blog, last week!  I never win stuff, and the basket is full of Filsinger's products http://filsingersorganic.com/, which are marvelous.  Local and organically produced, Filsinger's makes all sorts of apple, pear and grape products.  The basket I won contains a huge jug of their apple cider, apple cider vinegar (which you know I cook with like crazy!), apple sauce and pear sauce.  I can't wait to cook and bake with it all!

Since some days...particularly cold Mondays, we require cheering up with small pleasures, I thought I'd share some of my current faves with you.

Scents can dramatically affect mood so I am in love with the J. R. Watkins line of natural cleaning products, particularly the lavender scented all-purpose cleaner http://www.jrwatkins.com/jrwatkins/index.cfm?gclid=CP7f973ehK8CFcHJKgodazHu3Q.  Aromatherapy for house work?  I'm all for it 'cause I hate cleaning!  I need a little comfort and mood brightener when I'm doing menial tasks that I despise!

I also love Grapefruit Mate all natural room deodorizer.

Although I adore cooking with exotic spices, I can't stand food smells lingering about in my home.  Most commercial deodorizers contain pthalates and other toxic, carcinogenic compounds.  This is completely non-toxic and safe.  It's potent, so a little goes a long way, but it definitely clears the air and leaves a light, refreshing citrus smell.

I've mentioned the Live Clean line of hair products before, which I now use regularly.  But I thought I should also mention that they have a baby line, which is awesome.  I use their baby wash and shampoo on the girls.

Big A, who now has very long hair that tends to get extremely tangly and as I mentioned, has an exceptionally low pain tolerance, is often reluctant to let us brush it out and when we do, it can lead to hysteria.  So Adam and I always insist on using Live Clean's detangler for kids, which does a great job of allowing us to drag a brush through her curls with minimal complaints.
Both the baby wash and the detangler smell fabulous and can make wrestling your filthy children into the tub a little more bearable. 

Hey, I know Mondays can suck, so at least try to squeeze as much pleasure from the day where you can by appealing to your senses with some delicious tastes and smells to brighten up the beginning of your week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste