Skip to main content

Let's Talk

This January, Bell launched it's second annual "Let's Talk" campaign to address the stigma surrounding mental illness. Today is the program's official "Let's Talk Day".

The issue of stigma is of great concern because it creates shame and misunderstanding about mental illness and prevents many people from seeking help.

1-in-5 Canadians will experience mental illness at some point in their lives. At any given time, over 3 million Canadians are struggling with major depression!

Unfortunately, there is a great deal of fear surrounding mental illness, which tends to only be reinforced by the media. Coverage tends to focus on the extremist cases which has created the misconception that individuals struggling with mental illness are all unstable, violent, threatening and dangerous.

Just this week in Toronto we are hearing about the young man killed by police after leaving the Toronto East General Hospital wielding scissors. He reportedly stabbed someone prior to his confrontation with the police. Little is known, however, about the mental health status of this man at the time.

According to an article in the opinion section of the Star today, Toronto police officers received training last week, organized by the Toronto Police Services Board mental health subcommittee, to address the misperceptions the police have about "emotionally disturbed persons." That is a step in the right direction!

The Bell initiate is a 5-year multimillion dollar program providing support for mental health ventures across Canada. Today, Bell will donate 5 cents for every text message or long-distance call made on the Bell system to the program.

Canadian Olympic cyclist, Clara Hughes, is the spokesperson for the campaign, which is, perhaps why the story about the initiative was relegated to the front of the sports sections in both the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail today. A pity since, if like me, you tend to toss away the sports sections without a second glance, you'd miss it altogether. There are paid advertisements from Bell about it in the middle of the front sections of both paper, but again, I am sure like me, many people don't pay much attention to ads.

Fortunately, Canada AM did a story about the campaign this morning, and TSN broadcaster, Michael Landsberg's documentary about depression airs tonight on CTV at 7pm. In it, well known athletes share their stories about battling depression. I hope that this demonstrates to Canadians that depression and mental illness is not a sign of weakness or something to be feared or ashamed of, and encourages them to get help if they need it.

Even as someone who now works as a mental health professional, I understand the courage it takes to admit struggling with mental illness. I have battled anxiety, to various degrees, probably for most of my life. My mother said I began showing signs of anxiety when I was 3, when we moved to England for a year for my father's sabbatical at Cambridge University. My parents thought it was due to the stress of moving to a new environment. But it did not end when we returned from England.

What is fortunate for me, is that I was willing to seek help as a teenager when I was going through a particularly difficult period. I have sought counselling on and off ever since, when I have felt like I needed help. Mostly this has been in the form of psychotherapy, but I have also been on and off various anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. Since my post-partum anxiety crisis after Little A was born, I have been taking Effexor, an anti-depressant that is very effective for treating anxiety, and it has changed my life. No more intrusive thoughts, no more insomnia, no more chronic worrying. If I have to be on it for the rest of my life, so be it. Yet even so, I am always fearful to disclose this fact when asked in various situations whether or not I take any medications. I do worry what people will think.

Why do I struggle with anxiety? Is it genetic? My mother is an anxious person. Is it a biological defect that throws my brain chemistry of kilter? Is it because we went to England when I was 3? Is it because I was brought up in a home with parents with exacting standards who put immense pressure on my brother and I to succeed?

Although there are still many questions that are yet to be answered about mental illness, a growing body of research supports the diathesis-stress model. Essentially, there is reciprocal causation involved. In other words, biology affects emotions, thoughts and behaviours, which affect our experiences, and our experiences can actually alter our biology. A person may have inherent vulnerabilities or risk factors, which combined with an environmental trigger, lead to the development of a mental illness.

For more information about the campaign visit: http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste