Skip to main content

Happy 143rd Birthday Canada!

P1: I emailed a fellow student at school who has been in all the same classes as me and asked her what she thinks of Professor A-hole (she is currently in a different section of the same course). She has exactly the same impression of this guy that I do: arrogant, unprofessional, inflexible and condescending. At least it's not just me! I am just counting down the days until it's over and I don't have to deal with him anymore. Both of us, however, are going to have our say in the course evaluation, that's for sure. This guy really shouldn't be teaching!

P2: Canada Day went much better than expected. Holidays are, of course, not really holidays once you are a parent, unless you leave your kids with someone else. We've done that once with Big A when we went to Chicago when I was pregnant with Little A. We left her with my in-laws and it went very well..we hope to do it again next year, possibly with a trip to San Francisco.

Anyways, yesterday was actually pretty successful, although very exhausting. We took the girls to the Whitchurch-Stouffville Strawberry Festival. Our day started SUPER early as both girls were up before 6:30am. We got in the car around 10am assuming Little A would have a good 1 hour nap on the way. Unfortunately, she only fell asleep when we were 15 minutes from the destination and woke up as soon as we got there. The good news is the little car hater was very happy the whole time she was awake. I got smart and let her bring her favorite bear and favorite doll and it made a huge difference. And snacks for both girls helped too.

After the petting zoo (Big A was kind of fearful and had to be coaxed into even touching a little pink bunny - they coloured the bunnies different colours, like pink, blue and green, which I thought was a little strange), the carnival (rides, fun house, a candy apple and winning a stuffed animal for Big A and running around with us chasing her for Little A) we went swimming in the outdoor pools (they had a toddler pool, shallow pool and big regular pool) and froze our buns off. It was cool and breezy yesterday (which made me very happy) and not really swimming weather but Big A insisted. Then we got back into the car around 3pm and assumed both girls would have a good snooze. Big A fell asleep almost immediately and Little A fell asleep 15 minutes from home. So Adam drove around the block a few times while I unloaded a few things and picked up the hostess gift for my friend who's BBQ we were headed for. As soon as I got back in the car Little A woke up. So that made a total of less than 45 minutes of sleep for her. At my friend's party, both girls were grumpy but since there were toys to play with and other kids, we were able to stick it out until about 5:45pm. Then we headed home and Adam bathed our 2 sticky, filthy kids while I made them scrambled eggs. Little A got grumpy around 6:30pm so I breastfed her and we thought we'd put her to bed early. But the nursing gave her a second wind and all of a sudden she was in a fantastic mood. "What do you have in those things?" Adam asked me incredulously, pointing at my chest. So he and I lay almost comatose on the couch while the girls played and ate and ate and ate (I guess being outside all day whet their appetites?). We both have colds, which might partly explain our lethargy but the energy level of the girls was still pretty impressive, especially considering the limited sleep they got during the day. Nevertheless, we made it through a whole day with the 2 of them without any major tantrums or crying spells. I can't recall the last time that happened on a weekend day! Happy birthday Canada!

Tomorrow my in-laws are away and they usually have one or both girls in the morning while Adam is at the gym. So I'm on my own with the kids AND it's supposed to be 6000 degrees. I'm not sure what's going to be more of a challenge: surviving the high temperature and humidity or surviving the kids...

F1: New lunch idea

I found that Sobeys frozen wild salmon burgers that you just pan fry (or you can bbq) for about 5 minutes a side. I tried them on a whole wheat bagel spread with a thin layer of cream cheese and a sprinkle of dill (1 burger on each half if you're a big eater like me). Yum!

F2: When exercising in the extreme heat/humidity, try to do it in the early morning or evening and STAY HYDRATED!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste