Skip to main content

The Missing Shoe

Okay, give me the "Worst Mother of the Year" award.

Yesterday on our way home from picking up Big A at daycare, Big A grabbed Little A's foot in the stroller and pulled her shoe off. Because it was disgustingly hot and humid I was feeling pissy and decided to just throw her shoe under the stroller. When we got home, said shoe was missing. Big A and Adam hopped in the car and drove up and down the street looking for the shoe but to no avail. I was beyond frustrated because it is the only pair of shoes we have that fit her aside from white patent leather Mary Janes that Big A wore once to my sister-on-law's wedding. So this morning, since Adam took Big A to my mother-in-law's for the day, I put Little A in the stroller and tried to re-trace our steps (she was none to happy to have to wear the Mary Janes!). When we were half way down the street, Little A threw the little container she was eating her breakfast out of and it rolled right under a parked car. As I crawled underneath the car to retrieve it, I heard someone running down the sidewalk behind me. I looked up to see a woman grabbing the stroller just as it was about to roll into the street in the path of a large van. OMG! After my heart flip-flopped, I thanked the woman, who smiled and walked away briskly...I am sure thinking to herself what an idiot I am!

This is the second time this week I have been shamed publicly because of my parenting skills (or lack thereof). Big A was having her usual tantrum as we left the house Monday morning. I had to drop off a form at her school where she starts in September and she didn't want to. So I decided to forget it and just take her straight to daycare but then she changed her mind and started screaming that she DID want to go to the school. On our way home after dropping off Big A at daycare, Little A and I went to the grocery store. A couple in front of me at the check-out bent down and started cooing at Little A in the stroller. Then the woman stood up and said, "So did she go to the school?". I was momentarily confused. I explained that Little A doesn't go to school yet. "No, your older daughter." She said. I realized she witnessed our fracas earlier and was mortified. She then asked how old Big A is and then said, "Wow, she's really loud in the morning." Well apparently the whole neighbourhood must hear Big A screaming because I didn't recognize this couple and I don't think they even live on our street. No wonder I often feel like my neighbours are giving me dirty looks...

Little A is so funny and peculiar. She has decided she will only eat cheese strings whole, out of the wrapper and bananas whole, out of the peel. Little pieces of cheese or banana won't do. I bought her new shoes to replace the old ones and a pair of sandals for the hot weather. Unfortunately, when I try to put the sandals on without socks she gets hysterical. So my little sweetie has that early 90s fashion look of socks and sandals on her feet. Big A became very particular about what she wears by 18 months. At just 14 months I fear that Little A may give her a run for her money. Adam and I are so in for it. As difficult as these early years are, I can only imagine what life is going to be like when the girls are both teenagers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste