Skip to main content

Progress

P1: I am very excited to report that it sounds like I will get to do some volunteering at the hospital in the spring. Dr. M. suggested I write up a proposal about what my role will be. I am proposing that, since I am not yet a certified counsellor, I simply provide patients who are going through miscarriage with moral support, as someone who has been through it, and access to information and further support resources.

I also got my "phone pal" from Circle of Care. She is a 61 year old woman who is apparently lonely and socially isolated. She is legally blind and needs dialysis. I am going to call her next week to kick off our relationship. Supposedly she is very excited to have someone to talk to. I used to do a lot of volunteer work when I was younger - I had wanted to be a social worker or counsellor - and I am beginning to remember just how rewarding it can be.

This coming Wednesday I have a meeting with the CEO of the corporate fitness company to discuss doing lunch and learns and fitness classes for their clients. Sherma comes to watch Little A for the first time...I hope it all works out!

P2: Little A is having a blast exploring with her new mobility. She is now fixated on climbing stairs. Her new skills are definitely causing Big A some jealousy and resentment. We have finally started having disputes between them for toys. I think this is probably the reason for the regression in Big A's behaviour lately.

F1: Tonight we are having my new favorite fish meal (recipe below). It is easy and so, so good. I make it spicy but you can make the whole thing without any heat if you don't like spice. Tomorrow I am making pasta with rapini (again!), portobello mushrooms, kalamata olives and sundried tomato/basil turkey sausages I got at Whole Foods. Yum!

Rainbow Trout with Mango Chutney Sauce

1.5 lbs rainbow trout fillets (or wild salmon)
1 250 ml jar of your favorite mango chutney (spicy or sweet)
1.5 cups of plain yogurt
1 small knob of fresh ginger, peeled
2 cloves garlic
2 tbls cider vinegar

Throw chutney, yogurt, ginger, garlic and vinegar into blender and puree until smooth. Pour over fish and bake at 400 degrees until done (approx. 14 minutes, depending on how you like your fish).

I serve over brown rice pilaf (basmati rice mixed with sauteed onion, garlic, ginger and some garam masala) and pour any extra sauce over the rice, and make roasted cauliflower as an accompanyment.

Indian Roasted Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp garam masala (this is an Indian spice blend that has no heat, it is sweet. It is really aromatic and delicious and great for people who don't like spicy foods)
1/4 tsp sea salt
Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)

Toss cauliflower with other ingredients and cook on non-stick baking sheet at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes, or until soft and slightly carmelized.


F2: My muscles have been sore all week. Possibly because I knew I was going for a massage today? I tried a new place since the gym cancelled my appointment and it was well worth it. The woman brought tears to my eyes with some of the things she did, but I feel so much better now. I will definitely go back - this place is right in the neighbourhood too! Anyone who has massage covered by their private insurance plan should really use it as much as possible. Massage is so therapeutic. I always think if I were really rich, one if the few big indulgences I would have to have would be my own personal massage therapist. Oh what a fantasy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste