Skip to main content

Our Big Beach Adventure


This weekend the weather was positively hellish.  My absolute most dreaded...over 30 Celsius and super humid!

We had plans to get together with my brother and his family yesterday, so we decided to go down to the water where it would be cooler.  He suggested Bluffers Beach (the beach near the Scarborough Bluffs) and since we'd never been (we always go to Woodbine), we thought that was a splendid idea.

Its not as busy as Woodbine (of course, it's all relative...it was still busy!) but is just as lovely and, of course, has the background of the bluffs:
 
 
It was so damn hot I had to go dunk myself almost immediately after we arrived, and then went in and out a few times to keep myself from catching on fire.  I have to say, I watch the people slathering on oil and baking themselves like chickens with curiosity.  Even if you take away how dangerous that is for your health, I just don't get how feeling like you are going to ignite is pleasant.  But clearly my body chemistry is different from most people's. 
 
 
Anyways, the kids were all having a marvelous time and we were enjoying the beautiful scenery until suddenly a few raindrops began to fall (My brother took the above photo just as the clouds were moving in).  WTF?  We didn't move as we assumed it would be a little cloud burst.  But the burst quickly turned into a pounding until absolutely everyone was forced to pick up their stuff and bolt.  We were all stubborn and took our time as we were confident it would stop quickly but when it became torrential we followed everyone off the beach.  We got to the grassy picnic area just as things got totally nuts.  Little A started to get scared as the wind picked up (I lost my hat a few times) and we huddled under trees with other folks.  At this point we were all absolutely drenched, and now freezing.  Then just as suddenly as it started, the rain let up and then stopped completely and then the sun came back out.
 
My niece wanted to go back to the beach, but the rest of us were DONE!  We decided to head back to our cars at that point, especially since we had to park 20 minutes away.  Then Big A's brand new flip flop broke.  I couldn't let her walk barefoot all that way so I gave her my sandals and walked barefoot myself.  Thank goodness the pavement was relatively smooth!  Honestly, that was probably the furthest I have ever walked without shoes on!  The parking lot wasn't fun...believe you me!
 
By the time we got in the car, the girls and I were itchy and uncomfortable from all the sand in our bathing suits. It was a pretty icky car ride home, but I am not complaining.  The rain storm broke the humidity and now the weather for this week is looking much better (aside from today when its going to get up to 29 Celsius).

Its pretty awesome that we have a bunch of nice beaches right in the city and it took us much less time to get to this one than we anticipated.  Traffic was surprisingly light, but there is speculation that in anticipation of Pan Am Games mayhem there's been a massive exodus of locals. 

Happy Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste