Skip to main content

The Blessing of the Mundane


Its been a quiet week for me  with my counselling practice.  Adam has had many evenings of work engagements or working late, and finished off the week with a trip to Winnipeg, so that's meant less available work time for me.  Most clients want to see me after 5pm, after work, but the girls' after school daycare closes at 6pm, so if Adam isn't available to pick them up, its usually a no go for me.   I also had a daycare board meeting Wednesday night so my evenings were pretty much not open for appointments this week at all.

Fortunately, my mother-in-law stepped in to pick up the girls today so I was able to book a few sessions, and tomorrow I've got a bunch more clients lined up.  Saturday afternoon, the logistics of the girls' activities (gymnastics, swimming, playdate and birthday party) are so complicated, we actually have to borrow one of my in-law's cars so I can shuttle Big A in one direction while Adam shuttles Little A in the other.

The silver lining has been I had time this week to try to get my taxes organized...not an easy thing when you are self-employed and receive income from a whole lot of different sources.  Depressing how little I make too...and I have finally started my dreaded application for the new Ontario College of  Registered Psychotherapists.

Sunday I teach spin, the girls have Hebrew School, and Little A has swim, and then Adam has his book club meeting.  It doesn't look like I'll even be able to fit in too many errands this weekend.  But that's okay, yesterday I packed in as many as possible before the snow started.  While I've been here dealing with a big dump of snow, Adam has been in Winnipeg which has been having a boil water alert and power outages.  Oh good times!

So essentially, nothing but ordinary life stuff happening around here, which makes me feel blessed.  Oh yes, blessed. When counselling I hear about the most unbelievable trauma, tragedy and loss many of my clients have experienced.  Whether its infertility, or abuse, or illness, or an accident, so many people in this world face adversity on a daily basis. 

We may not be rich, I may not be famous, but none of that is really what matters.  Its all about love, friendship, and good health.  Having nothing much to worry about except juggling work commitments, getting the kids to swimming on time or shoveling snow is a privilege.  Its easy to get caught up in this stuff, so its important to step back once in a while and look at the big picture. Life is good.

I guess I should mention that its Superbowl Sunday since most of you - unlike myself - might care.  Have a wonderful, healthy, love-filled weekend.  Make my savoury roasted chickpeas to eat while you watch the game ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste