Skip to main content

The Circus Sucks and Other Things I Learned This Weekend



Image source

Okay, so as I always tell my clients, mistakes are learning experiences.  Really.  It's clichéd but true.  So what I learned this weekend is that circuses suck.  At least the one we attended did.  Big time.  The girls liked it okay, particularly Big A who was thrilled by the acrobats who performed.

So, the first sign that it might not have been a great idea was when I mentioned it to my mom.  I asked her if they'd ever taken me to a circus.  She couldn't remember, however, she COULD remember being horrified when her parents took her as a child because of the treatment of the animals.  Ugh!  Sometimes I can be naïve.  I just assume that these days animal mistreatment is so strictly prohibited that these types of large organizations could never get away with it.  All I had to do was think about the Marine Land scandal!  Sure enough, when we parked the car and walked over to the big tent, there were 3 women holding signs about boycotting circuses because of animal cruelty.  Oh man!

The next problem was that the big tent, pitched in what was essentially the parking lot of a suburban mall, had no fans or air conditioning.  Hello?  It's summer, like WTF???  Of course, it quickly became apparent why they don't bother trying to make it more comfortable.  As people began melting in the sweltering heat, they had numerous staff walking through the stands selling snow cones, soft drinks, $3 bottles of water, along with the usual popcorn and cotton candy.  It didn't take long for the girls to become really sweaty so Adam stood up and grabbed 2 cherry snow cones for them and 2 massive Diet Pepsis for us - not something I would ever normally drink, but at that moment I would have guzzled down elk urine if it was on ice.  As it turns out, I didn't really drink it anyways, instead, I scooped out the ice and rubbed it all over my body.  Yes, it was that hot!

The first few minutes were lame-o while they introduced a bunch of VIPs from the Shriners, who all gave little speeches.  No one listened and it was incredibly boring.  Then they had a tiger act that was okay...I paid close attention to make sure the whips never touched the animals.  Oy!

Fortunately, the rest of the acts, aside from horses galloping around the ring for a bit, were human, and they actually were quite entertaining.  But it was hard to see anything because of the sweat pouring down my face.  All the ice from my drink melted really fast.

The girls then decided they were starving.  So another $10 later, each girl was happily munching on a box of popcorn (at least the proceeds supposedly go towards a good cause).  Ninety minutes in there was an intermission.  Little A wanted to go home - exhausted as it was already 5:30pm, and although Big A wanted to stay, Adam and I decided it was a good idea to hit the road - we figured if we waiting until the end, we'd be fighting the crowds.  Oh man if felt good to get into the car and turn on the air!!

On the way home I tried to get a discussion going about the treatment of animals in circuses but Little a was too wiped out to do anything except sit in her car seat and Big A thought the animals enjoy performing.  Maybe I'm expecting critical thinking skills a bit more advanced than a typical 7-year-old's...

I learned a few other things on Saturday: With kids, simplicity is often best.  After all the crap the girls ate at the circus, I wanted to make them a nutritious dinner.  Scrambled egg and cheese wraps were on the menu but the only veggie in the fridge was a box of organic baby spinach.  Could I hide it in their wraps?  Would they eat creamed spinach?  Salad? Sautéed garlic spinach?  For each idea I came up with, all I could picture was Big A making faces and Little A shrieking with horror.  Finally, I decided to just bring the box to the table and ask them if they wanted to munch on some 'lettuce'.  "That's baby spinach mommy" Big A said, reading the box.  In the end, Little A was happy to just eat some straight out of the box, plain, while Big A dipped her spinach leaves in salad dressing.  Awesome!

One other thing I learned is that goat cheese is great in salads! 

Actually, I learned this in December but confirmed it Saturday night.  When we were at Pearson airport on our way to Florida at Christmas, I was rushing to find something to bring on the plane for lunch.  One of the airport restaurants had a spinach salad with goat cheese, berries and almonds and it looked good so I grabbed it.  It was good.  Really good!  I think I was turned off goat cheese in the 1990s because it was so trendy, it was in everything.  I don't like it on pizza or in a sandwich, but I'm diggin' it in a salad.

This was my salad bowl on Saturday:


Baby spinach, fresh berries, red onion and goat cheese with a mixed berry and balsamic vinaigrette.

Adam had his salad with chicken instead of cheese, of course.

Probably would have been a healthier dinner if I hadn't also made us (baked) French fries, and if we hadn't polished off all of them.  Oh well, we really enjoyed our meal!

So there you have it, those are the healthy life lessons I learned this weekend.  How about you, what did you learn?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste