Skip to main content

Technoferance

Tickled #17 - Cell Phone Humor

If you are a regular reader than you know how I feel about the current state of our always 'connected' culture: I hate it and I think our society is going to HELL-IN-A-HANDBAG.  I think its creating a population of narcissistic, zoned out, self-centered desensitized automatons.

I am well aware that I am in the minority here.  Most people I know have wholeheartedly embraced this obsession with texting/phoning/surfing/downloading every minute of every day.  I think it is FUCKING RIDICULOUS and DANGEROUS! The biggest problem on our roads now is not impaired driving, but distracted driving.

My reluctance to jump on this train has definitely put me out of sync with much of the world, but I don't really care...its one ride I don't want to be on.  I do what I have to (i.e. since I now run a health food business, I have been told I HAVE NO CHOICE but to be on Instagram and Pinterest), but to be honest, I don't understand the point of this stuff.

What I hate the most is how smart phones are breaking down human interaction and relationships.  I have seen this for a while among couples in my counselling practice.  For some, checking texts/emails/playing games/etc. is an addiction and it can interfere not only with intimacy but with work and other obligations.  This is a real problem!

Well, according to some research discussed in April's issue of Psychology Today, there is now data suggesting this is significant problem.  Smartphone use is gaining on sex, money and kids as one of the top issues couples fight about most.  Loved ones of heavy users report lower overall sense of well-being.  It undermines self-esteem, and can induce anger and anxiety.  Not a surprise to me.  It certainly makes me angry when  I am trying to engage with someone and they get distracted by their damn device.  Its so rude, narcissistic and obnoxious it makes me want to scream!

To be honest, I worry about our kids the most.  They are growing up with this behaviour as the norm.  I can't imagine how this is affecting them.  A few weeks ago I was waiting for Big A to finish her dance class.  Beside me, another parent was texting.  When the kids began to stream out of the classroom, I greeted Big A and asked about class while she put her boots and coat on.  That other parent? She continued texting, not even acknowledging her daughter for a good 3-4 minutes.  Finally when she finished the exchange, she looked up and began talking to her kid.  Like WTF? 

people-depend-on-cell-phones-to-much-22

Actually, I get very depressed when I am at the dance school and I watch the teens there interacting...or not really interacting with each other.  By the age of 12, most kids these days already seem addicted to playing games and texting.  Oh, and don't even get me started on "Selfies!" Its no surprise to me that number of selfies posted on line correlates with a persons' score on tests of narcissism.  Everything about the whole selfie thing makes me absolutely cringe.

Well, sorry if I am starting to rant, but, hey, this is my blog and I'll rant if I want to.  I wish I could actually write an article about this and publish it in an actual newspaper, but no one reads things written on paper anymore.  Speaking of which, I really don't get how people read novels on a device.  A kindle type thing is bad enough, but now people are downloading books onto their phones.  Maybe my astonishment reflects my poor eye sight and the fact that that would just be incredibly challenging for me.  I will also admit, while I'm at it, that one of the many reasons I hate texting is that I have unusually fat thumbs which make it difficult for me to push the correct button.  No joke!  I am a tiny woman but my hands could belong to a sumo wrestler.

Anyways, Dr. Guy Winch, who wrote the article in Psychology Today suggests that people:

1. Assess the extent to which technoference may be affecting your life and relationships
2. Distinguish between valid usage and excessive/unnecessary usage of your device
3. Negotiate fair expectations with your partner/loved ones about your usage to find better balance
4. Establish technology-free zones and time periods
5. Address exceptions and problems-solve future possible hurdles with regards to your technology usage

I am hoping that as a culture, we eventually establish norms for usage that bring the situation under control.  Perhaps it will be like smoking, which used to be permitted everywhere, until we realized the perils of this.  Just as it is now illegal to phone/text while driving maybe we will develop other restrictions in order to bring some semblance of balance back to our society.  Here's hoping...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste