Skip to main content

Glistening with Glycerin




Skin.

The biggest organ in our body.

Skin problems, even if not life threatening, can be uncomfortable, unpleasant, and/or can cause serious mental suffering due to shame and self-consciousness.

I lucked out with having relatively dry skin as a kid, I never had much acne. Unfortunately, dry skin becomes more problematic as you get older, at least from an aesthetic perspective: it looks sallow,  dull and shows lines! Even worse, is when, like me, your skin is super sensitive. Ugh!

Finding facial products and cosmetics are tough for me because I need stuff geared towards dry skin, but according to the dermatologist, because my skin is so sensitive, I need to avoid anything heavy, or containing oils. Hmm, great!

Experts say a basic moisturizer is the last thing you should spend a lot of money on, because just coconut oil will do as good a job. Having finally used up the $400 worth of Arbonne products I was swindled into buying 2 years ago, I decided this winter I would try coconut oil. Honestly, I consider the worst part of every morning, the point after I get out of the shower, before I've put on my moisturizer, when my skin feels super tight and dry. I hate that feeling! I figured, coconut oil, if anything, would grease me up good. But I kept hearing my dermatologist's voice in the back of my head telling me to stick with oil-free products. I did start to worry it might not be the best choice for me.

One day as I was grabbing something from the cupboard under the bathroom sink, I spied the bottle of vegetable glycerin I bought a few months ago at the health food store. It is an ingredient in a lot of the recipes from the Compassionate Chick's Guide to DIY Beauty, so I wanted to have some on hand for when the girls and I got busy making stuff. But I figured, if its a good, all natural moisturizer on its own, why don't I try it as is?

So I tried it, and I love it! It moisturizes and protects my skin in the harsh winter weather, but isn't heavy or greasy. It absorbs quickly, so I can put on my makeup immediately afterwards. I haven't experienced any of the usual irritation and redness I get around my eyes in the winter from the cold and wind. My skin feels less tight after the shower and, in general, just less dry.

Yay, finally I found the perfect, non-toxic, inexpensive solution for dewy, gorgeous, glowing skin! Okay, I exaggerate, I am not sure I ever look dewy but my skin definitely looks a lot better than before!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste