Skip to main content

Tae Bo Amped: DVD Review

Tae Bo Amped: 3 Workouts on 2 DVDs - Jump Start Cardio, Fat Burn Accelerator, and Full Throttle by Billy Banks

I am very excited to say I finally found exactly what I was looking for, in terms of kick-butt home workouts...but this is not that. So for Workout Wednesday this week, I give you my take on Tae Bo Amped.

I still think its worth reviewing because for relative fitness newbies, this might be of interest, particularly if increasing basic upper body muscle endurance is your goal.

So I've admitted to falling in love with Tae Bo.  I find it so much fun.  That being said, I don't find it terribly challenging.  I love the workout your abs and legs get, but it doesn't really get my heart rate up much.

When I saw this DVD for Tae Bo Amped, I got so excited.  It adds the element of doing Tae Bo with resistance (this 3 lb weighted bar thing he calls the Amplifier). I wasn't willing to order it for $20, but figured I could just use hand weights. 

With 3 workouts on the DVD, with names like Fat Burn Accelerator and Full Throttle, I expected it to be tougher than the regular Tae Bo.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.  In fact, I find these workouts even less demanding than the others. I started doing it with a 3 lb weight, then tried with both 3 lb weights, doing everything with double the weight of the bar they use, but still didn't find this added enough of a challenge.  More weight would definitely fatigue my shoulders, but it still wouldn't get my heart rate up. 

The problem is there is much less kicking, and using your legs is really what gets your heart rate up.  These workouts barely make me break a sweat let alone give me any cardio benefits.  Frankly, I don't recommend them for anyone looking for an advanced workout.  That being said, they may be just what you are looking for if you are a beginner, or if your goal is to improve your upper body strength.  That being said, I think you'd be better off lifting heavy if that's what you want.

The other thing is there is a different and kinda weird vibe on this DVD set.  In one workout Billy Blanks has this strange green outfit on that makes him look like a leprechaun, and the music is much more prominent and kind of gospel-like.  I am probably making it sound worse than it is, but anyways...

So this DVD is in my 'easy' pile, and that being said, that's not a bad thing.  When I was recovering from that flu that hit our household a few weeks ago, it was the perfect thing to do when I wanted to start moving again, but wasn't up to doing anything really tough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste