Skip to main content

"THE COOKIE" Healthified (Sort Of)

 

 

When I met Adam he had this weird addiction: these strange looking pastries his grandfather would buy him from Haymishs' Bakery which he called "The Cookie".

They looked like a big shortbread cookie with some sort of fruity filling.  The whole thing was weird because Adam usually doesn't go for anything that doesn't involve chocolate.  I couldn't figure out the appeal since I hate shortbread and just kind of figured that's what they were.

Then I tried one.

F#$%!

I was addicted.

They are like these gigantic rugelach with a rich vanilla cookie, topped with sugar, and a filling of jam and raisins, only instead of being rolled crescents, it's the two layers of cookie dough folded over with the fruity stuff in between.  Believe me, the description doesn't do them justice.  In spite of all the white flour and sugar, I started gobbling them down as fast as Adam. 

Since they are from a Kosher bakery, however, I knew that sugar and white flour weren't the only evils lurking in those treats.  They certainly weren't making them with lard, and I suspected they weren't using butter either.  One day when I was in the neighbourhood, I popped in and asked.  Just as I feared, they used SHORTENING (aka trans fat)!

I reported back to Adam - who was already worried about how they might be affecting his cholesterol levels - and he finally asked his grandfather to stop buying them for us.  And so it was, our addiction came to an end.

Since then (that was about 6 years ago), I've periodically thought about making a healthier version, but have felt a tad intimidated about doing so.  I've never even made rugelach, and being a favorite of Adam's I knew there would be high expectations.

Recently I was inspired.  I can't really say these are now HEALTHY given that you do have to use a fair bit of butter and cream cheese for the dough.  But I've removed all the sugar and used whole grain flour.  But the best part, is that even Adam was really impressed with them.  Although he did say, "They don't taste exactly like THE COOKIE...it's filled with crap and crap tastes good."  I disagree.  I think crap usually just tastes like crap (perhaps THE COOKIE is one exception) and these taste awesome!

If you aren't a dried fruit fan, you can use chocolate chips instead.

THE HEALTHIFIED COOKIE

Pastry

1/2 cup butter, softened
250g light cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 cup erythritol, xylitol or stevia baking blend + extra for sprinkling on top
1 tsp vanilla extract
Liquid stevia, to taste (optional)
2 cups whole grain kamut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Filling

1/2 cup no-sugar added jam or spread (apricot or raspberry)
1 cup raisins
10-12 dried figs, diced or chopped dried apricots (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon

Cream together wet ingredients in a food processor.  Add flour, soda and salt and pulse, just until dough forms.  Scrape onto a large piece of parchment paper and roll out into a large rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut in half.  Sprinkle dough with cinnamon and then spread jam over top.  Evenly distribute dried fruit over top. 



Use parchment paper to fold one half over the other.  Then carefully lift parchment paper to lift the whole thing onto a baking sheet.  Sprinkle top with sugar-substitute and cut into squares.  Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes until bottom pastry is cooked through and the top is golden.  Let cool and then run knife along cut lines and separate into squares.  Keep in an air tight container for up to 1 week or freeze.  But don't worry, they won't last long!!



Honestly, who needs Haymish's Heart Stoppers?  These are fantastic, I am so pleased with how they turned out and will definitely be making them again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste