Skip to main content

Random Acts of Kindness



I have always loved helping others.  I have always done various forms of volunteer work since I was a kid - my favorite experience being a companion to seniors in a hospital when I was a Brownie.  I also got a credit in high school tutoring children with learning disabilities, an opportunity that taught be a number of valuable lessons.  I'm not a saint.  Really, it's somewhat self-interested actually, as helping others makes me feel good.

Unfortunately, as this blog documents, I lost my way.  I fell away from what is true to my heart and ended up in a career that was utterly meaningless to me.  I remember my anger, frustration and resentment of having to spend my days doing what felt like nothing more than helping other people (or companies and organizations) make more money.  If there was some sort of social value involved in the project, I was basically detached from it.  "Why would I ever care about this?"  I always wondering.  I didn't feel like what I was doing had any meaning nor was making any positive impact on the world in any significant way.  I felt empty, useless and wasted.

It was, of course, my experiences with infertility that gave me the impetus to leave my former career and get on track with what I love: helping people!  I love being a counsellor and I am grateful every day to have the opportunity to now do what I love. 

But I want to make a difference outside of my work, in my community too.  I have become a regular blood donor, because it is such an easy yet important thing to do and I am trying to volunteer more at Big A's school and the girls' daycare when possible.  Now, I've decided to try and join the Random Acts of Kindness movement.  I love the idea of making a real difference to someone's day simply by making a small gesture.  Imagine how different the world would be if each and every one of us decided to do so!

Yesterday, the girls and I passed the construction workers fixing the bridge near our house.  It was ass-kicking cold, and we discussed how awful it would be to have to work outside all day in that weather.  I immediately got thinking.  Is there an opportunity here to do something to make a difference?

Why yes, of course!  I decided to bring them each a cup of Mexican Spiced Hot Cocoa to warm them up on my way to catch the bus to work.


I wasn't sure if they were hot chocolate drinkers, but I figured, at the very least, the thought would mean something to them.  I carried them over in a box on which I scrawled, "Random Act of Kindness...Pass it on!"  As luck would have it, they were just getting back from lunch and were in the midst of parking their truck when I arrived.  I knocked on the window, and one of the men rolled it down.  "Are you the guys fixing the bridge?" I asked.  "Yes" they replied, looking scared.  I think they thought I was about to berate them for making noise.  "Well these are for you, stay warm today!" I said.  You should have seen the surprised smiles on their faces.  It totally made my day.

Unfortunately, I must have spent too much time whipping up the drinks because I missed my bus.  Ah well, it was so worth it, and after sprinting a few blocks in the opposite direction, I found another route to work.

It felt so good, I am going to try and do one Random Act of Kindness every week from now on.  I'm also trying to get the girls in on it and I told them they can come up with ideas too. Hopefully, declaring this publicly will keep me accountable!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste