Skip to main content

Low-Fat & Vegan Mac & Cheese With Sundried Tomatoes, Kale and Zucchini


Last weekend Adam and I had a lovely dinner with some of his colleagues.  The hosts are foodies and put out an incredible spread that included all sorts of antipasti and cheeses to start, as well as fois gras (Adam and I skipped this course), and then roast chicken, peas and cauliflower, and an amazing rice pilaf with figs that I am going to have to try and recreate.  There was chocolate, more cheese, cake, lemon ice, and fresh fruit for dessert.  They also had EVERY kind of alcohol on hand, including the best champagne I've ever tasted.  I was good and had 2 glasses of champagne and then quit, despite being offered wine, liquor, and other drinks.

One of the guests indulged in everything except anything involving vegetables.  He explained - while his wife rolled her eyes - that he doesn't eat ANYTHING green.  "Sheesh, you'd HATE my cooking!" I laughed.  It's true.  I can't really make anything without finding a way to toss in as much vegetable matter as possible.  But I do this for 2 reasons.  One, vegetables are good for you and generally increase the nutritional content and decrease the caloric content of meals, and two, I love veggies! 

So anyway, all this to say, that this is one of my typical recipe adaptations.  I often make Angela's Butternut Mac & Cheese, but sub cauliflower for the squash and it's a favorite of both Adam and I, however, when I came across this one from Susan on Fat Free Vegan, I knew I had to try it.  In my own way, of course.  What appealed to me is that it doesn't require a food processor, which means less to clean, and it's lighter because it uses just 2 tbls of tahini, rather than a large quantity of cashews.  Then I fiddled around with the seasoning a bit, and added sundried tomatoes, sauteed kale, and roasted zucchini.  I was very pleased with the results and so was Adam.  This is definitely going to be a staple around here.   Perfect, healthy comfort food to keep us going through the winter!

Other veggies that would be great are green peas, spinach, roasted red peppers, roasted tomatoes, or even brussels sprouts.

Low-Fat and Vegan Mac & Cheese With Sundried Tomatoes, Kale and Zucchini (Adapted from this recipe)

1 lb whole grain short pasta

946ml carton, unsweetened, organic soy milk
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbls lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp prepared dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tbls tahini
Pinch cayenne
2 tbls corn or arrowroot starch
2 tsp miso

Bunch kale, washed and torn into pieces
4-6 small zucchini, cut into thirds, and then each third, cut lengthwise into quarters
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup julienned sundried tomatoes, not packed in oil

Toss zucchini with vinegar, seasoning and garlic.  Place on foil-lined baking sheet and roast at 350F for about 30-40 minutes.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Place 2 cups soy milk in a saucepan, set over medium heat, along with everything except starch and miso.   Whisk together and bring to a boil.  Meanwhile, whisk together remaining soy milk and starch.  Add to pot and whisk until sauce thickens.  Turn off heat and whisk in miso.

In a hot skillet, saute kale along with sundried tomatoes.  Add roasted zucchini and hot pasta.  Toss with desired amount of sauce.  Makes 4 servings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste