Skip to main content

Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some

One of my New Year's resolutions was sorting out some of my minor health problems that I was dealing with. There has been some wins and some losses here.

My eye doctor has switched me to daily wear contact lenses and I am feeling optimistic that this will improve my vision and avoid the chronic eye infections I had been getting.

Things were also looking up in terms of my pelvic/hamstring injury and chronic blisters on my feet. Unfortunately, I've had a major regression in this area.

My physiotherapist had gotten me down to one session every two weeks and the pain had improved dramatically. The serious blisters I'd been sporting on my heels had virtually healed altogether. Then the pain started getting worse through my hamstring and last week I had to miss my physio appt because Big A was home sick with me that day. It all went down hill from there. This week the pain was almost as bad as it's ever been, requiring me to get off my desk chair periodically every day and sit in pigeon pose on the floor while attempting to get my readings for school done. Along with that pain, the blisters returned, making me suspect that my initial hunch of a connection between my pelvic alignment and the blisters was correct all along.

This has all gotten me a bit down and wondering whether I am going to have to live with some degree of chronic pain for the rest of my life. Clearly the ridiculous amount of core work I've been doing, as prescribed by my physiotherapist and athletic therapist did not prevent me from having a major relapse. I have a lot to discuss with my therapist at my next appointment Monday!

Another resolution I made, was to do everything in my power to get my career moving in the right direction, and to try and stay optimistic about it. In this area I have achieved success! I am working on my second last course for my Masters - Multiculturalism in Counselling - which I am loving, and I landed a great practicum placement. I now truly believe that my career goals will be met. This makes me so crazy happy. In fact, I would rather suffer from chronic hamstring pain and bad blisters for the rest of my life while having my dream career, than have no pain and be forced to return to my previous career, or another equally unfulfilling one.

There are some people who can accept not loving their work, and find fulfillment elsewhere. I am not one of them. After all, most people end up spending more of their time over the course of their lives at their jobs, than they do with family or enjoying leisure pursuits.

I am blessed with a wonderful husband, nutty, insane, adorable children, great friends and extended family, a lovely house, enjoyable hobbies including cooking,teaching fitness classes and working out...and now, finally, I believe I can have it all. I can be someone who loves their work. Yipee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste