Skip to main content

Fine Line

As the saying goes, "There is a fine line between love and hate", which to me, simply underscores how easy it is to cause or experience both joy and pain in our relationships with those closest to us. Many of us have experienced this in romantic relationships at one time or another and I would say most of us have experienced these seemingly conflicting feelings towards members of our own family.

Although I spent most of my youth being persecuted by my older brother (basically until he left for University when I was 14), the bruises, taunts and insults didn't stop me from worshipping the ground he walked on. There were many, many moments where I hated his guts, but if he was willing to give me the time of day and be nice to me a few minutes later, all was forgiven. Nevertheless, we were not really close, per se, possibly because there were 4 years between us and we were different genders. Therefore our priorities and interests were extremely dissimilar (although Adam claims to this day, my taste in music has been influenced by Dan's).

From the time I was very little, I dreamed of having a sister. To me, a sister would be a best friend and soulmate I would have my entire life. She would stand by me no matter what and we would share everything. Of course I never got to have a sister, but I was thrilled to have two daughters because I was certain that they would be the soulmate to each other that I never had. Ha!

I know that ALL sisters are not best friends and soulmates. I know some who are...and some who are NOT AT ALL.

I desperately want my girls to be close, but I also realize that it really isn't up to me. The relationship they develop between them is theirs.

Most of the time they show absolute love and adoration for each other, but as they get older and play together more, they also fight more. My relaxing Saturday morming was anything but today. The hours before my in-laws came to take the girls out was filled with fights and battles, screaming, whining and door slamming. They fought over food, they fought over toys and they fought over space (the whole "get out of here", "Mommy, she's touching me!" kind of stuff).

By the time my in-laws rang the doorbell, I was ready to give them away to whoever was standing on the front porch, even a complete stranger!

My one consolation so far is that they don't hold grudges. I finally demanded apologies and hugs from each of them. Little A acquiesced immediately and Big A eventually followed suit.

There are so many things in life that you cannot understand until you experience it yourself. I could never understand why our fighting drove my parents so crazy, nor could I understand why my mother has gotten so upset when my brother and I have had falling outs as adults. I get it now. The greatest joy is seeing the love and bond between your children. The biggest fear is that this love and bond will be broken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste