Skip to main content

Reno Challenge: Week 3

I would be lying if I said I wasn't already really sick of living in a construction zone. I'm a homebody, but being home isn't very fun, and definitely, isn't relaxing right now.

One thing that has helped is buying a booster fan to help cool down our bedroom. I followed my friend's advice and bought this little gem:

Its for rooms in your house that don't heat or cool down efficiently.  Since we are still in the midst of a f$cking heat wave here, I decided this was essential. I've been doing a lot of phone/Skype counselling from home lately and midday our room gets so hot I feel ill.  Meanwhile, the workmen downstairs get all the nice cool air from our air conditioner. Grr!

There have also been some fairly major hiccups. First, the new fridge we ordered wouldn't fit through any of our doors and had to be returned. We had to then find a fridge that would fit, which meant we ended up not getting our top choice. Then our front door broke. yes, I kid you not. It won't open. Our beautiful, expensive front door that's just a few years old. A call to the installer got me a, "You are sh*t out of luck" response because the warranty was only for 1 year. Two visits from a locksmith weren't enough to fix the problem (our door broke is saw), so he has to come back a third time today. I'm laughing, its all so funny. Okay, not really, but I am trying to take it all in stride. It will all get fixed, it will all get worked out. So what if the workmen now have to get all their tools, equipment and our new furniture in and out the back door? No big deal, right?

The girls are pretty happy to eat convenience foods which is both good and bad. They aren't exactly getting stellar nutrition, but it makes things easy. Our local grocery store has a lot of prepared items, so I have been able to buy them tuna and ham and cheese sandwiches and wraps (on whole wheat) for a quick pre-soccer game dinner, They are still loving frozen lasagna, but have already tired of macaroni and cheese. I bought a few soba noodle soup bowls from the Korean market, and those went over well. Breakfast is now easy because Big A, the pickier one, has fallen in love with whole wheat bagels with chocolate cream cheese. Healthy? Not really. Whatever. We have also been stocking up on a lot of Greek yogurt to help try and keep their (always hungry) tummies full.

Adam is still getting delivery from Fuelfoods.ca and enjoying it and going to his gym every morning. He loves his gym but hates the extra time it takes compared to working out at home.

During the week I am fine with my simple meals, but on weekends I start to miss having the opportunity to cook up more elaborate things. I really want to make homemade pizza! I really don't mind working out in our bedroom, especially now that I've found a way to cool it down. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the basement to be finished so I have a true designated workout space again!

One of the biggest changes to my routine is I am not currently drinking coffee. Yes you heard me right! As much as I love it, I am not an addict (though the girls always tease me I am). I am a fast metabolizer of caffeine so it doesn't really have an effect on me. In winter, what I crave most is the whole routine of wrapping my hands around a warm mug in the morning and the aromatic aspects of it.  Right now, making coffee is just one more annoying thing to do in our construction mess of a house, and its so darn hot here that I am not in any way craving coffee. Not even ice coffee.

Though I am sure I will eventually return to my morning coffee habit, I think I am going to cut out the majority of my ice coffee drinking, because I think the high acid content of coffee doesn't do good things. I am really enjoying having to pee much less often right now!!

The girls survived their first week back at school. It wasn't that traumatic for us or them as neither of them get nervous about these things. They are so confident, both of them, its wonderful. I hope they are always this way!

This weekend is going to be busy. We have a cousin's birthday party tonight, Little A has a soccer tournament tomorrow, and Sunday is my birthday. I don't really want to go out for dinner, but cooking something fancy isn't going to happen. I've settled on a spinach salad with blueberries, red onion and goat cheese, and a massive cinnamon roasted kabocha squash. To me, this is total yumminess, and simple. I have been roasting veggies these past couple of weeks in our toaster oven, and it works beautifully. Since its my birthday, there might be a few craft beers or ciders had this weekend too.

The somewhat good news is the weather is supposed to start cooling off soon. Hallelujah! Wednesday set a heat record here. It was ridiculous. Like truly disgusting, obscene and utterly revolting. Actually, there are not enough words to describe how bad it was.

Well folks, stay well and have a wonderful weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste