Skip to main content

Water World

We're still enjoying our 4 day weekend over here, but its been a wet one in various ways.

Today its pouring rain, which definitely means no outdoor activities.  Thankfully all we'd planned was a trip to Costco and Adam is going to take the girls swimming at the JCC.

Friday we never made it to the farm because...it was wet...and cold...and icy.  Instead, we took the girls to the Pacific Mall, a super cool Hong Kong style mall north of the city.

We had fun exploring the weird and wonderful finds there.  The bulk food stores are hilarious.  Aside from various candy and snacks (think Pocky, etc.), there are some of the most bizarre things there, ranging from salty and sour dried fruits to fish jerky, dried duck wings, and marinated eggs of various kinds.
 


I wish I'd taken more pictures, because I forget some of the craziest stuff we found.

There are also tons of clothing and accessory stores and I bought Little A few hair bands and Big A a few pairs of earrings, and they're just delighted.

We also got them fruit slushies made from real fruit, and then from the food court, sushi and stir-fry noodles.  The noodles were from Sun Kitchen, where they make the noodles by hand, fresh, right in front of you.  Given how picky the girls can be, I wasn't certain they would like them. I made sure to order them a non-spicy dish with chicken and veggies.  They loved them!


Saturday after I got back from work, Big A and I did some Passover baking while Adam took Little A to gymnastics (Big A decided she doesn't want to do gymnastics for the spring session).  Then Little A had her best friend's birthday party. 

Sunday after my spin class and workout I had a client session and Adam took the girls to the Springridge Farm for the Easter Egg Hunt.  The weather was actually warm, sunny and gorgeous yesterday.  Then my sister-in-law and I went to the Body Blitz for a soak.  It is really wonderful there, even to someone like myself, who isn't a fish (i.e., aside from my daily shower I generally have no desire to get wet). They have a cold pool, warm pool and hot pool, and they have various therapeutic salts (Epsom, dead sea, etc.).  They also have an aromatherapy steam room and sauna, but those were too hot for me and I could only last a few seconds in each (my sister-in-law shook her head and told me I'm too hot, just like my brother).  Yep, hot heads.

They have a menu of smoothies and teas you can order and you are allowed to sip while you soak.  It was definitely relaxing, but really the best part of the whole thing was just having a few hours of uninterrupted time to chat with my sister-in-law. 

Afterwards, there are showers and tons of luxurious personal hygiene products for guests' convenience (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, hairspray, deodorant, etc.).  Oh, they also give you slippers, bathrobes, and towels, of course.  I'm hoping all the soaking might help prevent me from being too sore tomorrow from yesterday's workout.  We'll see...

Have a good Monday...or Easter Monday, or whatever kind of Monday it is for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste