Skip to main content

You Can Go Home Again


Well well, its Tuesday and the girls and I are home safe and sound.  I did it!  I drove to Kingston and back, with just the 3 of us!

Its interesting...now that my parents sold our house and live in a downtown condo, I get a different perspective on the town.  I mean that both literally and figuratively, of course.  They have great views from their 12th floor condo of the waterfront and they are in the centre of the downtown core.  For some reason, I found myself marvelling over what a lovely town it is. 


It used to be the capitol of Canada before Ottawa.  Its absolutely full of historic, beautiful buildings.

 
It seems like a lifetime ago that I lived there, and yet in some ways like only yesterday. 
 
 
So the drive there was pretty seamless.  Very little traffic and the girls were very well behaved.  Nevertheless, every muscle in my body was sore when we arrived from tensing the whole time.  I think I am now comfortable with driving at fast speeds, but its the other (psycho) drivers on the highway that scare the crap out of me.  Perhaps its not so different on any major highway, but I find on the 401 there is no slow lane.  There is fast, faster and truly, fucking insane.  I just try to keep my distance from the asshole aggressive drivers who are obviously a danger to everyone.
 
When we arrived, the girls wanted to swim in the condo pool almost immediately.  Then we went out to dinner for gourmet pizza, followed by gelato.  For a smaller city, Kingston has some pretty amazing restaurants actually.
 
Then the fun ended.  I decided to share the bed in the guest room with Little A.  I thought it would be nice to snuggle together.  Oh my was I wrong!  The kid tossed and turned like an octopus on a bad acid trip...ALL NIGHT!!  Neither of us got a wink of sleep.  I was very concerned about driving home when I was so tired, but what choice did I have?
 
My parents made the girls challah French toast for breakfast and then we went for another swim.  Unfortunately, I don't think the girls ate anything with any nutritional value the whole trip.  My mom felt it was important for grandma to spoil them.  I turned a blind eye...
 
After we all showered, my mom and I wanted to go for a walk with the girls but they just wanted to sit on their butts and play Ipad games.  Sigh!  So we made lunch and then packed up the car.
 
The drive home was slow.  Between Kingston and Cobourg, it was start and stop the whole way.  Traffic was nuts.  Little A was also grumpy because she was so tired.  I was darn tired too!  At one point she spilled popcorn all over the back seat and started having a freak out.  I wished we had a roof rack I could strap her too for the rest of the ride.  But despite all this, we made it home safe and sound.  I'm proud of myself!  I honestly feel like (in decent weather) the drive to Kingston is now no big deal for me.  Ha, a few years ago I would never have thought I'd have the confidence to do it.  But I did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste