Skip to main content

Splurge-Worthy Beauty Must-Have: Derm-Organic Argan Oil Leave-in Treatment




First off, I want to wish my Grandma Ruth a Happy 95th Birthday today!  I am sad that her dementia for the past few years has made it difficult for us to communicate, but I am looking forward to seeing her again in March when I go down to New York City for a visit.

Compared to a lot of women, I'm pretty low maintenance.  I can very happily live with discount beauty products and clothing.  My beauty products come from the drug store, and my clothes mostly come from H&M, Winners, etc.  You will not likely catch me buying clothes, make-up or accessories in luxury stores or buying luxury brands.  There are a few exceptions, such as fragrance (I am still hooked on Lavanila Vanilla Grapefruit scent) and running shoes - since I workout so much it is really important to have good ones...although I almost always buy them when they are majorly on sale).  Another thing I will never again skimp on is my DermOrganic Argan Oil Leave-in Treatment!

My hairdresser told me about it years ago and I'd been using it and loving it (helps your hair dry faster and is a great moisturizer, de-frizzer).  I had to go to specialty beauty supply stores to find it and it's $30 for a small bottle.  But after I had my hair straightened, I figured I didn't need it anymore.  I picked up a bottle of argan oil leave-in treatment for about 1/3 the price at the drug store.  The consistency was completely different and I knew right away the oil was cut with other ingredients, but started using it anyways.

 Lately, I have been finding my hair was becoming coarser, dryer and less shiny.  I was thinking that my straightening treatment must be fading out, but I was also at the end of my bargain-bottle of argan oil.  At the mall last weekend, I found my DermOrganic at 50% off so, of course, I picked up 2 bottles.  As soon as I started using it again, I realized just how much better it is than the cheap stuff.  Oh my, I am never skimping on this again.  And really, a little goes a long way, so one bottle can last me over 6 months.  Just a few drops and my hair is soft, shiny and much easier and faster to blow dry in the morning. 

Speaking of mornings, I am so loving the breakfast rules around here.  It is saving me so much time and energy in the mornings.  Nevertheless, I'm still really glad its Friday.  We've got a pretty quiet weekend coming: I work tonight and tomorrow, Little A has soccer, Hebrew School, Fitkids, and a playdate, and Big A has swimming, Hebrew School and a playdate.  Adam and I will just hopefully have some time to relax together.  Unfortunately, I think we are in for more cold, snowy weather.  But I guess at this point we gotta just accept that this is going to be a super cold winter.  Have a healthy, happy weekend.

And cheers to Grandma Ruth, who was and always will be, far more elegant than I!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste