Skip to main content

I Am Thankful For Deep Dish Cookie Pie!!! (Vegan, Gluten-Free & Refined Sugar Free)


 

It's the first Monday in February.  Once again we're in for a cold, dreary day.  If you're feeling a little down in the dumps, than this recipe should brighten your mood.  It is one of the most unhealthy/decadent tasting healthy desserts I have ever tried!  Honestly, it is so good.  This one isn't mine, though, but heck, I wish I came up with it!!

But before I get to the recipe, we'll talk weekend.  I know my Gratitude Challenge is over, but I have so many things I am thankful for.  First off, my foot.  Yes, my foot.  Friday morning after my workout in our home gym, I tripped over our BOSU ball.  I am the first one to admit I am a total klutz!  My foot rolled in a really not good way and it hurt like absolute hell.  I iced it and taped it and it seemed okay.  I took the girls to school, did some things around the house, and then took public transport to work.  At about 5pm, I was in a session with a client, and my foot started throbbing.  By the end of my last client session of the day, it was so painful, I couldn't put any weight on it.  I limped to the subway station and somehow made it home, but by the time I got in the door, I had to resort to crawling.  It was really freaky.  I knew it wasn't a fracture, but I was thinking I had sprained it so badly, I was going to need crutches. I started to think about how complicated that would make life.  Forget about just putting me out of commission from working out or teaching fitness classes, I was wondering how I would even get the kids to school!  I iced it and taped it up again and went to bed feeling pretty low. 

Miraculously, when I got up Saturday morning, it had improved so much that not only could I walk, but I was able to do a modified workout.  Sunday morning I was able to go to the gym, lift weights and teach my spinning class.  Its still definitely swollen and tender when I touch the affected area, but compared to Friday night, the improvement is incredible.  I am so thankful!!  Actually, one of the things I tell my clients that have trouble motivating themselves to be active, is that they should remember how lucky they are to have the ability to be active!  Really, its a gift.

I am thankful for our good friends we shared dinner with on Saturday night.  Adam and I have dinner with them about every 4-6 weeks, and our 4 kids all have fun playing together.  Our dinners have been a tradition from before any of us even had kids.  Its so nice, because we always have great fun.

I am thankful that, although he likes watching football, Adam isn't a big enough fan to have to insist on watching the Superbowl.  Yay!  I despise watching sports on TV.

I am also thankful that I discovered this dessert which I think could win over most of the healthy dessert haters I know.

Chocolate Covered Katie is probably one of the best known healthy dessert blogs on the Internet.   One of her most popular recipes is her Deep Dish Cookie Pie, and I have been dying to try it out like forever.  I am thrilled to say I finally got around to it and it was a hit with everyone.

Follow the link to her site to find the recipe.  The only substitutions I made were using coconut sugar in place of brown sugar, and my homemade vegan and sugar-free milk chocolate chunks in place of regular chocolate chips.  You know, with beans and oats in this, I'm thinking it could be considered healthy enough to eat for dinner!

I cut the piece in the photo below when it was still warm, which is why it's so gooey.  Once it cooled, it actually firmed up quite a bit, which is how I like it.

 
 
Honestly, give the recipe a try, I am sure you won't be disappointed.  Everyone in this house loved it.  I am definitely going to be making it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste