Skip to main content

Getting Organized

Weird thing, but I have a dirty dark secret: While on the surface of things I look like a very tidy, together person (people often comment on how tidy our house is), if you open my drawers, you'd see another side.  I don't know what it is, but I have never been good at organizing.  I just fling things in drawers so you can't see them.  I am forbidden from folding or putting away anyone's laundry but my own because I just roll things into balls and stuff them in.  My desk isn't horribly messy, but open the drawers and things are disasterous.

Lately, however, this tendency is starting to have consequences, and now that I'm running a business, it is important for me to be organized.  I am great with my client files, but other things have still been sliding, and the truth is, all the disorganization makes me anxious.

One area of our home that's been quite a mess for some time is our storage room in the basement.  We hadn't cleaned it out in 7 years and we never bothered to get proper shelving or storage so it was being very inefficiently used.  The result was that we could never find anything and there was eventually no room to even walk in it.  Adam and I talked about getting someone in to help us with it because it just seemed so overwhelming, but the reality is, we don't have the money to throw around on things like that, that we can technically do ourselves.

Motivation to tackle this project came recently when my friend gave us all her old shelving, in perfect condition, after she and her husband had built-ins put in their basement.  I finally decided it was time.

Now, I may have broken a bottle of red wine all over everything in my first 5 minutes of cleaning out the room, but things thankfully improved from there.  It was a ton of work, and not particularly fun, but the result is worth it.  I no longer feel stressed when I enter the room.  I know where everything is and there is plenty of room to move.

I am pleased to say there was less stuff that needed to be thrown away than I feared - except all my notes and readings from 4 years as an undergrad - and not even as much to be given go Goodwill as I thought.  The area just really needed to be tidied up.

Unfortunately, my loving family wasn't terribly grateful.  The girls complained about how the room now smells like red wine, and Adam simply criticized where I put everything and told me he will eventually have to organize the room 'better'.  Ha, no good deed goes unpunished!  Well, too bad, I still am very proud of myself.

Here are the before shots:






And her are the afters...which honestly don't do it justice:






There is actually quite a bit of empty shelf space...dare I say we finally might be able to take our remaining wedding gifts from my in-laws house!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste