Skip to main content

Thai Massage

I strongly believe in the therapeutic benefits of both yoga and massage. So when I heard that Thai massage integrates components of both, I was intrigued. For years I have wanted to give it a try but just never seemed to get around to it.

Then a few weeks ago there was an offer from Dealicious (like Groupon) for a 75 minute Thai massage for $35 at a studio near us and I decided this was the perfect opportunity.

The verdict? A very pleasurable experience, although I DO NOT recommend this particular studio: http://ascensionarts.ca/(I'll explain all that below).

I was warned that some parts might be challenging for me, but it wasn't at all. I think it may be intense for someone who has very limited flexibility and/or mobility, but all the yoga I've been doing put me in good shape for it and the whole experience felt gentle, and not the least bit strenuous.

The therapist explained it as a type of massage that focuses on acupressure and uses assisted stretching based on yoga poses. Although when I go for a massage I generally want a good pummelling, the gentleness of this massage practice still felt effective. I left feeling calm, loose and relaxed. If, like me, you love it when you are doing a yoga class and the teacher comes over and gives you assists to help you go deeper into the posture, you will probably love Thai massage.

Unfortunately, I was not at all pleased with the teacher herself. Her massage skills are fine, I think (I have nothing to compare them too really, since this was my first time doing Thai massage), but I was not impressed with how I was treated.

When I first called to make an appointment, she seemed annoyed, like she was too busy to fit me in. She only seemed to have a few afternoons available, and it took us a while to find a time that mutually worked for us.

When I showed up at the studio at the agreed upon time and date, she was not there. I phoned her cell and she admitted she did not have the appointment in her book. She was not terribly apologetic, but eventually said she would email me to re-book and could perhaps offer me a free session.

After a few days I still had not heard from her so I phoned her back. Again, she acted like I was an annoyance, but we managed to book yesterday's session.

Yesterday she sent me an email to confirm and included instructions:

*Wear t-shirt and pants (no shorts)
*No perfumes or scented products (I'd already hopped out of the shower and spritzed on perfume and slathered on body lotion!)
*No make-up (ugh, hoped I wouldn't get caught on camera!)
*Bring $6 for tax and $10-15 for tip

Considering how annoyed I already was with her service, I planned to tip no more than $10. Yet when our session was over (and by the way, it was 60 minutes, not the promised 75!) and she asked for the $6 in tax, I gave her a $20 and waited for change. I was going to take the change and then give her back $10, but she pocketed the whole $20 and didn't ask if I wanted any back! There was also no apology for the first appointment mix-up, nor any mention of the free session she'd mentioned before.

Now, of course, I could have said something, but I am terribly un-assertive in these situations, so I just stormed off. While I may do Thai massage again, it won't be with HER!

Have you ever had a situation were dissapointed with a service provider, but didn't say anything?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste