Skip to main content

Sunbeams Versus Vampires

I know I blab all the time about the importance of: (1) proper nutrition, (2) exercise, and (3) sleep/stress management to our health, but there is something else that is key: relationships.

Humans are social beings. Babies cannot thrive without touch and stimulation, children need secure attachments with caregivers, and few adults can live without social support from others.

In fact, research studies have found that while an unhealthy marriage or union is associated with chronic illness, and can shave years off your life, a healthy one promotes health and longevity.

But romantic/love relationships are not the only important ones. Friendships are key too.

Research has also found that social support is a key factor in recovery from a variety of physical and mental health challenges, and perceptions of available social support affect how we cope with stressors.

Unfortunately, we often find ourselves caught up in friendships that do us more harm than good. You know, the folks who are really our "frenemies", or what my friend Alex calls: Vampires, because you feel like they've sucked the life out of you when you've spent time with them.

Characteristics of Vampires are people who are:

* Competitive, jealous, and/or have an agenda
* Insincere/untrustworthy
* Unreliable
* Takers and never givers
* All about themselves, never ask about you
* Full of back-handed compliments/snide remarks/insults
* Judgemental

You've probably had a Vampire or two in your life, most of us have. While I undoubtedly had my fair share of dufus boyfriends before I hooked up with Adam, it is toxic relationships with women that I feel left the deepest scars on me.

Fortunately, as I have gotten older, I have become more confident, and less willing to tolerate these types of people. Life is too short, and so I want to spend every minute I can with Sunbeams, not Vampires!

Sunbeams are the opposite of Vampires, people in our lives who make us feel warm, safe and energized. You don't even need tons of Sunbeams in your life. Quality is far more important than quantity.

I am blessed to have lots of Sunbeams in my life. Some are family, many are friends. Having these people in my life are just as important as working out, eating vegetables, and sleeping well. They are integral to my physical and emotional well-being. This is why even the ones who now live far away (Emily, Annette, Jan, I'm talking about you!!), ones I only know online (hello HA folks!), or the ones I don't see as often as I'd like (pretty much all my lovelies in Toronto!), each and every one will always be important and special people to me.

If you make one resolution for 2012, make it be to lose the Vampires and recognize the Sunbeams in your life. And Sunbeams aren't always family members and close friends. Sometimes it's the barista at the local coffee store that always remembers your order, or your babysitter, or the mailman. Look around and I promise you, even if you feel like you are surrounded by Vampires, there is bound to be at least one Sunbeam in your life.

Merry Christmas to all those celebrating!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste