Skip to main content

Garlic-Crusted Sausage Florentine Pizza (Vegan!)

Poor Adam, between his cholesterol and his health-conscious wife (that would be me!), he rarely gets to indulge in his favorite foods for dinner: red meat, chicken wings, garlic bread and pizza.

So I thought I'd treat him to a meal reminiscent of some of his favs, but still super healthy. I generally make pizza that is vegetarian, dairy-free or both anyways, since he is lactose intolerant, and follows the Kosher dietary law of no milk and meat products together.

You could always recreate this dish with animals (butter, ground meat and real cheese), and I am sure it would be divine...just not quite so healthy. But I assure you that this pizza is so good, even carnivores will dig it. Adam did!!

The topping and sauce makes enough to cover 2 1.5 lb balls of dough. I recommend making that much because you'll be happy to have leftovers. It freezes well and reheats perfectly in the oven or toaster oven. But if you don't want to make that much, you can stir the remaining topping into your favorite pasta sauce and serve over whole grain pasta.

2 1.5 lb balls of WHOLE GRAIN pizza dough
2 tbls Earth Balance (or butter), melted
2-4 cloves garlic, minced (I used 2 and it wasn't garlicky enough for my liking)
1 tsp Rustic Tuscan seasoning from Costco (or Italian seasoning)

1 can tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Rustic Tuscan seasoning from Costco (or Italian seasoning)
Hot Crushed chilis, to taste (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste

1 tsp olive oil
1 350g package organic tempeh, crumbled (I diced it and then pulsed in food processor)
1/2 onion, grated (I did it in food processor)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 300g package frozen, chopped spinach (thawed)
1 cup chopped kalamata olives and/or 1 cup sundried tomatoes, marinated mushrooms, artichokes, peppers, etc. (optional)
1 package vegan cheese, grated

Mix melted Earth Balance with garlic and seasonings. Spread out dough to desired thickness on baking sheets or pizza pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray and lightly sprinkled with cornmeal.
Brush entire surface of doughs with mixture and bake in the oven at 425F for about 7-8 minutes. Remove crusts from oven and set aside.

In a small saucepan, mix tomato paste with 1/2 cup water and seasonings and heat over low heat for about 5 minutes. Add more water if you want a thinner sauce.

Pour oil into large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, tempeh, garlic and spices. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add vinegar, spinach and any desired add ins (olives, etc.). Cook until any liquid is absorbed and then turn off heat.

Spread sauce on crusts, sprinkle desired amount of cheese and spread tempeh mixture over top. Return to oven and bake at 425F for about 14-15 minutes or until desired doneness.

I even managed to snap a pic of one just as it came out of the oven. I can't find my pizza pans, so I just made them into rectangles on my two largest baking sheets. Hey, who says pizza has to be round?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste