Skip to main content

Your Fittest Future Self: Book Review


Happy Easter Monday to those who celebrate!

If you are one of millions of North Americans who wants to improve your lifestyle and/or health but do not know where to start, this book will be of interest to you.

What struck me several times while reading Your Fittest Future Self by Kathleen Trotter, is that it is the book (one of about 20) that I planned to write! I write books in my head on a regular basis and fantasize about actually writing them, but then decide it's way too much work.

But ultimately, this means that Trotter, a personal trainer, motivational speaker and author, is totally on the same page I am when it comes to perspectives on fitness and nutrition.

But that's no surprise as she graduated from my alma mater (Department of Exercise Sciences at the University of Toronto) and also wrote a fitness column for the Globe and Mail that I used to enjoy.

The book has sections on nutrition, fitness and mindset (i.e. motivation and ways to avoid self-sabotage). Trotter has also included a series of workout plans, complete with photos to illustrate each exercise.

Trotter's writing style is very down-to-earth, and peppered with enough personal information to give readers a bit of insight into who she is as a person, not just as an author and trainer.

I find Trotter's overarching philosophy to be similar to that of Yoni Freedhoff (author of a book I often recommend to my clients, The Diet Fix), which is basically, live the healthiest life you can enjoy and maintain long-term. This means, for most people, figuring out a lifestyle tailored to your own personal preferences and needs, not following the diet trend du jour or the advice of some dumb-ass celebrity.

In her discussion of mindset, she brings up an issue that I see often with my therapy clients that often drives emotional eating or poor health choices/behaviours: self-pity, resentment, and/or anger. Going into a spiral of, "Why do I have to stop drinking pop? Other people drink it. It's not fair, why can't I drink pop and be skinny/healthy?"

Just to add to this, I often ask clients if their choices are (often unconsciously) a fuck-you to someone or something. Frequently, clients realize they are giving the finger to someone who nags them to lose weight, to society for judging them based on their weight, etc. I remind them that using food as a way to hurt others usually just hurts them due to the long-term consequences, even if their anger and resentment is fully justified.

Trotter addresses the destructive effects of perfectionism, which can contribute to an all-or-nothing mentality about food/exercise (i.e., I ate a cookie and messed up everything, so it doesn't matter if I eat 6 more, etc.). Related to this is the self-loathing that also often interferes with people's efforts to make positive behavioural changes (i.e. I missed my workout today, I am such a lazy pig, there is no point in continuing at all).

Another recommendation Trotter gives readers, which is similar to what I tell my clients, is to constantly be exploring how to make improvements/find the right fit when it comes to nutrition and fitness. I tell my clients to be guinea pigs: try different things and if something flops, rather than give up altogether, move on and try something else.

Overall, I think this is a great book. I am still miffed at Trotter for stealing so many of my own thoughts and ideas (just kidding!), but I guess it's my own fault for never actually writing any of the books that are in my head.

Do I recommend this book? Absolutely. I think it will be very useful for anyone wanting to make positive changes to their health or lifestyle who feel overwhelmed and do not know where to start. In fact, it's going on the shelf at my office and I will probably be recommending it to many of my clients.

Disclosure: The publisher sent me the book to review but all opinions on this blog are my own.

Comments

  1. I'm Alecia Maldonado i live in Houston Texas,USA. i am testifying about a powerful deeds of a herbal Doctor in West Africa. I had cancers of the breast which I thought was the end for me , I visited hospitals and booked for operations with several doctors in Houston,Texas. but to no avail, untill My husband came in contact with a woman from Africa who reffered us to this great doctor from Africa,she said the doctor has a herbal flusher that could flush away any bad disease or virus like cancer,hepatitis b, stroke,Hiv/aids and so many others from the body , I wasn't too sure at first, but just decided to give it a try living every thing in the hands of God almighty. I booked for the herbal flusher and after a week I got delivery from a ups agent, I used it as I was instructed, I started seeing changes,two weeks later I went back to the hospital for check up and the Cancer that was killing me was no where to be found.Am so happy to testify to anybody over the great deeds of this great doctor. I don't know if you are suffering a case like I did ,and you feels it is the end for you, i have good news for you, this is just the beginning for you and your bad days are over,please feel free to contact him on his mail,he is nice and very understanding. Thanks. dr.abalaka@outlook.com wish you good luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste