Skip to main content

Things I am Loving: Spring 2019 Edition

It is ironic I am writing this on a day that does not feel like spring at all (04/11/19). It is cold and gray and has been snowing. Tomorrow it is supposed to go up to like 15C and rain...at least it is warming up! I am hoping when this post goes live, it actually does feel like spring!

I did not get sick once this winter! I was feeling very smug about that, and thinking maybe it was because as soon as flu season started, I began using my Navage Nose Cleaner again. Typically I just rinse my sinuses with a squirt of Hydrasense, but after getting the flu last winter, I decided to get out the heavy duty artillery this winter. Unfortunately, the girls brought home a nasty cold last week and even the Navage was no match for it. so my hubris was rewarded with a very sore throat, headache, and laryngitis. In any case, the Navage is indispensable when you are sick! Just imagine being totally stuffed up and having this thing suck all the snot and mucus out!! Its awesome.



I am also loving these new full finger weight lifting gloves I got.



I got a pair before but the palm was a very slippery material. WTF? Holy design fail! I have had to switch to full finger gloves as I have started lifting bigger, heavier weights. I was just having trouble gripping and getting callouses on my fingers (as opposed to my palms). These make a big difference. They are men's and the small is a bit too big, but its fine.

I just recently have gotten into podcasts. I spend so much bloody time cutting up fruits and veggies and prepping meals, I figured I should do something productive with my brain while I do it. I mostly listen to psychology podcasts that can inform my therapy practice. One of my absolute favorites is UnF*ck Your Brain.




The host is a life coach, but her work is grounded in cognitive behavioural therapy, which is my jam. It is so good and I recommend it to many of my clients!

I am currently obsessed with this smoked herring. Make fun of me if you will (Adam and the kids do), but I love this stuff and I often eat it for breakfast. I know, its high in sodium, but hey, its also got lots of good Omega 3 fats! My family hates the smell. I don't care, I will never give it up!

Back to fitness, my friend turned me on to Blogilates. It is a whole fitness site run by fitness professional, Cassie Ho, from Los Angeles. Her workout videos are the best! They range from 5 minutes to 45+ minutes. For my clients trying to find an easy, convenient way to fit in workouts, I have been recommending Blogilates.


Cassie is a total cutie, and she doesn't take herself too seriously. She also has some really cool moves, I love her ab videos!

Quite a hodge podge I've put together huh? Enjoy spring and take pleasure in the little things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste