Skip to main content

Sardo Li'l Oliver Olive Snack Packs: Product Review


Olive a healthy snack for the kids, but sometimes convincing them to eat it is a challenge.  Sorry, bad joke, but olive a good pun!

As I have ranted on about many times before, we live in a toxic food environment which encourages overconsumption of highly processed, low nutrition convenience foods...especially for kids!  Most food products marketed to children is fluorescent hued nutritionally void garbage.  But the marketing works.  When I take the girls grocery shopping, it sounds something like this,

"Mommy can we get ____ ?"
"No"
"Mommy can we get ____ ?"
"No"
"Mommy can we get ____ ?"
"No"
"But this one is 'made with whole grains."
"No"
"What about this one? Its only got 7 grams a sugar per serving."
"No."

Believe me, we are not in the produce aisle! Its usually the aisle with crackers, cookies or snack foods.  Or even the dairy aisle, because, of course, now you can get sugar sweetened yogurt with cookie crumbles or sprinkles on top!

Sigh.

Studies have shown that kids are highly influenced by packaging, no matter what the content.  Even fruits and veggies are more appealing to them if they have a cartoon character on the label. 
For this reason, I was very excited when Sardo offered samples of its new kid packs of olives.  Perfect for a lunch box, these snack sized containers feature a cute mascot, Li'l Oliver and contain stickers. 

Here's the nutritional info per pack:

Know what I like? Zero grams of sugar!!

2802 chart







Now, my kids - despite my love of exotic cuisine - are not very adventurous, so I didn't really have high hopes they'd like olives, but I definitely wanted to try.  They were eager to sample the goods when they arrived (black and green varieties) and loved the stickers, but didn't love the olives.  Grrrrrrrrr! I once dumped a guy I was dating in university because he didn't like olives.  How can you not like olives??

I still think its a fantastic healthy snack idea so I gave them to my sister-in-law because my niece and nephew love olives.  So don't let my failed experience dissuade you, you never know what your kids will like and maybe Li'l Oliver might just tip the scales in your favour!  As for me, I will keep trying since, as they say, you need to let your kids try a new food at least 10 times before you give up since familiarity often breeds liking.  Oh yeah, don't you worry, one day these girls will be olive eaters!

Disclosure: I was sent these products compliments of the company, but all opinions on this blog are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste