Skip to main content

Mood Swings

Mom, I'm sorry for all
the things I did when I 
was a kid. Will you 
please take off the 
curse that my kids 
will be 10x's worse 
than me? PLEASE....
I'm Sorry!

Holy cow have we been having major mood swings in this house...and there isn't even anyone close to hitting puberty yet!

Wednesday morning Little A woke up in quite a state.  I haven't seen her in such a snit in a very long time.  Basically everyone and everything made her furious and she wailed almost non-stop from the moment she got up until I dropped her at school.  Of course, her teachers reported that she had a great day after I left.  Not sure what was up with that, but when I asked, she simply said, "I was grumpy."  Yeah, well I was left with PTSD after that kid!

Likewise, last night, Big A, who was otherwise behaving great yesterday, had a massive tantrum right after Adam left with his dad to see a concert.  It was like she was 4 again, I couldn't believe it.  Of course, when one kid is having a melt down and getting into trouble, the other kid is sweet as pie...and enjoying every minute of the other's downfall.  I'm telling you, I think having 2 kids relatively close together in age of the same gender is trouble.  Last night as Big A screamed and pounded the floor in the hall while I tried to read Little A her bedtime stories (I won't bore you with the details, but due to rudeness, I took away Big A's TV privileges for the night, which led her to start claiming that her life isn't fair, because Little A always gets her way - which is so not true!), Little A commented, "Mommy I think she is having a big tantrum...you better go deal with it."

My brother and I - and this is confirmed by my parents - really weren't competitive with each other.  Don't get me wrong, we hated each other and fought a lot, but not like my girls.  My brother just thought I was a pest and beat the crap out of me whenever possible.  I half worshipped/half hated my brother.  But being different genders and 4 years apart, we were mostly into different stuff.  We hardly ever played together (I remember Monopoly and Clue games and occasional games in the back yard), and really just spent most of our time doing our own stuff.

I know the girls love each other and are very protective of each other, but their is so much jealousy, it's nuts.  If you threw one of them into a bathtub full of hairy spiders, the other would shout and complain, "Hey, not fair, why does she get to go in first?"

Ah well, its just part of life and part of parenting.  I am very pleased with myself because I somehow managed to not go ballistic on either of them during these rather unpleasant moments.  By the time I picked up Little A on Wednesday, she was in a delightful mood.  Half an hour after I banished Big A to her room last night, she came out in a completely opposite mood, apologized and gave me a hug like nothing had even happened.

I am so glad it's Friday, but things are still nuts.  I work for most of tomorrow and I am going to be super stressed until November 26th because I am furiously trying to organize the annual fundraiser for the girls' daycare - I have a million errands to run this weekend in preparation for the event too - on top of seeing my clients and taking care of the girls...oh, and Adam is going to Tampa for a few days next week for work.  Fabulous!

Have a healthy happy weekend and embrace  the chaos...I'm going to try to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste