Skip to main content

Changing Bodies

 
Cover Photo

Last week I had the honour and pleasure of being invited to a mother-daughter event hosted by P&G.  It was designed for moms and girls aged 7 to 14 to discuss puberty, so myself and Big A attended.

Now, to be honest, I do tend to be suspicious of big-business and their motives, so I am pretty convinced that these types of events are primarily for marketing, but I am also willing to concede that the corporate world can sometimes do worthwhile things.  This is one of those things.

They broke us into groups with the moms' discussion being facilitated by parenting expert, Kathy Buckworth, and the girls' discussion led by Degrassi Next Generation star, Melinda Shankar.  Big A has not yet seen Degrassi, however, she recognized Shankar from a show on YTV.  Erica Ehm and her daughter were also in attendance as were a number of media folks from various magazines and publications.

Our mom group discussed how we have talked, or plan to talk to our daughters about puberty.  The girls discussed who they would like to get information about puberty and their bodies from, and how they would like the discussion to go.  Fortunately, when we re-grouped, we were told they want to hear this stuff from their moms (rather than peers!).  In our group, most moms admitted that periods, breasts, body hair, etc. were not as distressing issues to address with daughters as is sex and the idea of our children becoming sexually active.

Afterwards, a light lunch was served.  I was anticipating unhealthy food aimed at kids, but instead, they went the other way and served tiny, fancy hors d'oeuvres that weren't really kid-friendly.  Actually, I was pleased because Big A, who was really hungry, was forced to try new foods that she wouldn't have otherwise touched.  She picked at most of it except the beef brisket sliders, which she loved.  Then they had an ice cream buffet with all sorts of candy and cookie toppings.  I wasn't thrilled about that, but, of course, let her have some along with all the other girls.

Next we were separated into groups and sent around to explore different stations focusing on skin care, periods, personal hygiene (deodorant), shaving, and oral hygiene.  This part was mostly about promoting P&G products, but the tampon/maxi-pad station was actually instructive and educational.

Big A and I also got to do a little video talking about the best part of being a girl, etc., which may be featured on P&G's Beinggirl website this winter.  Now, even though this site is clearly for marketing their products to teens, it does provide a forum for girls to ask questions and get accurate information about puberty and their bodies.  They also have a site for parents with tips for talking to your kids about their bodies.

They generously paid the tabs for our taxi rides to the elegant downtown venue where this event was held, and Big A and I each got a massive swag bag full of P&G products including razors, feminine hygiene products, deodorant, lip gloss, gift cards for Well.ca and Big A even got an electric toothbrush!

I actually think it was a great experience for Big A and I, even though I didn't really enjoy it (I'll talk about that in another post), but it totally normalized a lot of things for her that might have been scary or embarrassing before.  That night before bed, Big A asked me to go through her gift bag with her.  She was very comfortable talking about the tampons and pads and told me she still felt she had no clue what to do with them.  I reassured her that when the time came, I would be right here to help and show her what to do.  My own mother's handling of my puberty wasn't stellar and didn't leave me feeling that confident about all the changes, so I am determined to do a better job with my girls.  I want to protect their confidence and lack of self-consciousness as much as is humanly possible.

We put the bag on the top shelf of her closet since, at age 7, she probably (hopefully) still has some years before she needs most of the stuff.  It was also to do something together just the two of us that made her feel really special.  It reminded me just how important it is to have one-on-one time with each child once in a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste