Skip to main content

Passion

Since Valentine's Day was just yesterday, you probably think this post is all about something hot and steamy.

Nope, sorry...I'm talking about a different kind of passion today. 

The passion that you have for an activity, philosophy, belief, or practice.  We all have one in us somewhere.  Maybe it's writing, maybe it's cooking, maybe it's gardening.  Perhaps it's being a mom or dad, doing yoga, or travelling around the world.  Your passion could be knitting, painting, taking in abadoned animals or fighting for the rights of a marginalized group of people.  And you are not limited to just one.  Many of us have multiple passions that drive us every day, give our lives meaning and provide us with spiritual and emotional fulfillment. Really, the possibilities are endless! 

I have always been told that if you follow your passions, you will be successful.  So far, this seems to be coming true for me!

If I had to name my passions, they would be (in no particular order):

*Inspiring health and well-being
*Teaching fitness classes
*Physical activity
*Cooking and baking
*Counselling/working to decrease stigma around infertility and support people going through it

Of course, it's this last one on the list I have dedicated my life to these past few years. 

My expectation has been to begin my own private counselling practice, because jobs in the field are few and far between.  The problem is, launching a practice takes a lot of patience and ability to tolerate risk and uncertainty...I lack both!

So I am crazy thrilled that I seem to have landed a job at a fertility clinic here in Toronto!  I can't give any more details at this point, because there is still a lot that has to be worked out, but it is really a dream come true for me.  It means I will get to do more of what I am passionate about (counselling, helping others, bringing awareness to the world about the emotional toll of infertility) and worry less about the other stuff (marketing, advertising, hustling to get clients, making an income, etc.).

It was a big risk I took a few years ago, quitting the corporate world, going back to school, and pursuing a new career in an entirely different direction, and it hasn't been easy.  I have agonized over the loss of income and being forced to start at the bottom again at this stage in my life.  I've been extremely uncomfortable being completely financially dependant on Adam and often questionned whether I did the right thing, and whether I would ever reach my goal.

Yet here I am, and I am so grateful that I will be able to now build a career on one of my passions.  Not everyone has the opportunity to do so, so I consider myself very lucky.

That being said, you don't have to make a career out of your passions in order for them to give you pleasure.  You just need to nurture them in whatever way you can.  Are you nurturing your passions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste