Skip to main content

The "C" Word

Do you have a fear or phobia?

I really don't like insects and I'm extremely scared of bees and wasps, but I don't really think I have anything that would constitute a phobia...except, perhaps dying. I mean, I know we all die, but I mean more like dying prematurely. I suspect that most parents hold this fear, to some extent, because you worry who will look after your family, and you worry about not having the chance to see your children grow up.

Related to my fear of premature death is my fear of cancer.

Even as a young child, it's threat to life seemed to loom large. It seemed like a mysterious disease that always ended in extreme pain, suffering and death. It also seemed to strike randomly, as everyone seemed to have a story about a young, healthy person in the prime of their life who died tragically from cancer.

Both my grandfathers died of cancer and a childhood friend's mom died of cancer too. Even children died of cancer. A close friend of mine lost a friend of hers to leukemia when we were very young.

My own cancer scare came when I was 18. I got a call from the nurse at my doctor's office saying that my routine pap had come back showing abnormal cells severe enough to warrant localized surgery (actually, lacking any proper interpersonal skills she told me I "might have cervical cancer". This incident terrified me and made me acutely aware of the fragility of life and the threat posed by cancer, and this was reinforced by my mother's breast cancer diagnosis in 1998.

The randomness of many cancers was always what frightened me most. It always seems like most chronic illnesses can be avoided through healthy living, but some cancers just seemed to strike without reason, no matter how a person lives. Nevertheless, my cancer scare and my mothers' diagnosis prompted me to go into research mode - always the control freak, I was determined to find a way to manage my risk. Even back then, there WAS evidence of links between lifestyle and some cancers. I was talking about the dangers of trans fat and the link between alcohol and breast cancer YEARS before I ever saw anything about it in the media. The data has been around for a long time now.

Unfortunately, her diagnosis did not inspire my mother to change her lifestyle dramatically. She still drinks alcohol, which I don't think she should, and she still maintains a higher than healthy body weight. But after a few years of constant nagging and fighting, I realized I was powerless to make her change and she had to live her life her way.

She is not the only one. I have a close friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer when we were 32. It runs in his family, which is his primary risk factor, but my friend is also not one to be too concerned with living a healthy lifestyle. He is physically active and doesn't smoke, but when it comes to food: he lives for red meat and fois gras. Since having cancer this has not changed despite research showing that red meat consumption is a strong predictor of colon cancer reoccurrences. I worry about him, of course, but I have to accept that this is his choice to make.

For myself, my philosophy has always been I don't want to ever say "What if?" As in, if I am struck down by some terrible disease, would I wonder if I could have prevented it? For that reason, I have never smoked or spent time tanning, and I am committed to eating healthfully, exercising regularly, limiting my alcohol intake, and getting sufficient sleep.

Now my friend who had colon cancer does not have children and I wonder if that's what the difference is. I can think of nothing worse than not being able to watch my children grow up. But then again, what about my mom? And my father too, has been overweight most of his life and has never shown much concern for his health when it comes to his food consumption and weight.

Given my fears about cancer, I was very excited by some breakthroughs announced this week.

First, researchers have discovered that ovarian cancer, an often deadly cancer, begins in the fallopian tubes, which means it can now be diagnosed and treated much earlier and may save many women's lives.

Also, fasting before and after chemotherapy may starve cancerous tumours and increase the effectiveness of treatment.

In addition, the Nutrition Action Healthletter, from the Centre for Science in the Public Interest, has a story in their January/February issue about how to lower your risk of various cancers through diet, weight and exercise.

Here is a summary of their findings:

                                                          Ways to Reduce Your Risk:


                     Diet & Smoking                      Weight                                     Exercise

Breast            Avoid alcohol                         Maintain healthy weight           Get regular exercise

Colon/rectum Avoid red/processed meats,   Maintain healthy weight           Get regular exercise
                     get calcium & Vit D

Esophagus    Limit alcohol and red meat,     Maintain healthy weight
                    do not smoke

Lung            Get sufficient B-6,   
                     do not smoke


Ovarian        Eat mostly plant-based diet    Maintain healthy weight           Get regular exercise

Pancreas      Do not smoke                        Maintain healthy weight

Prostate       Don't take calcium suppl,       Maintain healthy weight            Get regular exercise
                     limit ALA intake


Uterine        Maintain healthy weight

One of my greatest motivations for living a healthy lifestyle is doing what I can to reduce my risk of cancer.  Yes, some cancer risk is genetically-based, some seems random, some are due to environmental factors beyond our control.  But personally, I never want to be in a "what if" situation. 
 
In 2011, there were about 75,000 cancer deaths in Canada, about 1/3 of which Health Canada estimates could have been prevented if no one smoked, while another 1/3 could have been prevented with weight loss, exercise and healthier eating.  That is both frightening and encouraging at the same time.  It means we CAN fight the war on cancer, but it will require a massive change in the lifestyle of Canadians.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste