Skip to main content

Tooty-Fruity Pancakes

Wait! Don't call child services, I swear that feeding these to my children is not cruel and unusual punishment...in fact, they love them!

I have started taking the same approach to making them pancakes as I do muffins and other baked goods: an opportunity to hide extra nutrition in every bite they eat.

I admit that brussel sprouts are not a common pancake ingredient, and truthfully, this would not have been my first choice of veggie to add, but I had extra in the fridge, so I thought I'd give it a try.

If you use a cruciferous veggies like brussel sprouts, broccoli or cauliflower - you know, the gas-producing culprits, these will be extra "tooty", but if you are less adventurous or you have particularly picky/sensitive kids, other options that would work are spinach, pea, corn, carrot, pumpkin or squash.

Big A actually hates chunks of fruit in her pancakes, even whole berries, but pureeing the fruit makes it even easier to hide the veggies.

I like making a big batch so I can freeze them and then have them handy when I need a quick, healthy meal for the girls (they will eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch or dinner!). They take less than 30 seconds to defrost and heat in the microwave.

Cooked veggies (enough to make 1 cup, pureed)
1/2 cup blueberries
2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
2 tbls maple syrup, honey or agave syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbls baking powder
1 scoop Greens+ for Kids powder (optional)*
2 cups milk or water

Puree enough veggies to make 1 cup. Ad blueberries and bananas to the blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Dump puree into a large mixing bowl and add eggs, sweetener of choice, and vanilla. Whisk together. Stir together flour, baking powder and Greens+ (if using) in a smaller bowl and add to wet ingredients. Slowly pour in milk or water to mixing bowl, whisking everything together until you have a fairly thick batter. Cook in frying pan or griddle until golden on both sides. Makes about 18 pancakes.

Serve with syrup, or to make this an even healthier meal, serve with yogurt and fresh fruit.

*Greens+ for Kids is a great, albeit pricey supplement that can be easily mixed into smoothies, yogurt, water, juice...or pancakes! My kids love the berry flavour it adds. http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=866

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste