Skip to main content

CIO

Most parents will recognize CIO as standing for: Cry It Out, a controversial parenting technique where you allow your child to cry without reward until the undesired behaviour ceases.

I had absolutely no problem allowing my children to CIO when they were infants. Although a good sleeper once she fell asleep, Big A resisted going to bed, both at night time and nap time and we had to let her CIO for a very long time.

After 4 months of pure sleepless hell with Little A, we moved her from the bassinett in our bedroom to the crib in her own room and let her CIO until she started sleeping through the night.

Listening to your child cry is never pleasant, but I was able to follow through with the sleep training plans with relative ease.

Yet as soon as my children are old enough to understand my words and figure out how to manipulate me, I seem to lose the ability to listen to them cry and become instant putty in their hands. I can't seem to give up the hope that I can reason and negotiate with a toddler.

Just as Big A seems to be giving up her 2 and half year tantrum phase, Little A is officially in the Terrible 2s. My former ray of sunshine is suddenly pissy and whiny and throwing tantrums about everything.

I have found myself falling into the same trap that I used to with Big A, of giving in to her ludicrous demands just to placate her. But I am putting a stop to it right now!

Starting this week, I no longer bring Little A any snacks to eat in the stroller on the way home from daycare. It got to the point where no matter what I brought, she found a reason to throw a snack-related fit. Even if I had 3 different fresh fruits, some dried fruit and some cereal, she would whine and complain and have me stopping 20 times in the freezing cold on our walk between her daycare and Big A's, to give her more water, more blueberries, take away the blueberries, find the raisin she dropped in the stroller, etc, etc. Finally I told her on Friday, "No more snacks!" Yesterday, day one of this experiment, I discovered that she will find any reason to throw a fit on the way home from daycare so no point bending over backwards to placate her with snacks. It was all about wanting her mittens off and then on and then off and then her hat and then she got mad and kicked off her boot and then she wanted her boot back on, etc, etc. But I did not stop in the cold. I informed her that when we got inside Big A's warm school I would fix her boot and her mittens...and I didn't give in.

Little A is going to learn that I am the boss, and if she doesn't like it, she can just CIO!

Comments

  1. It is so hard to do, and yet so necessary! We're going through this with Timmy right now too. All the crying and whining is driving me BATTY, but I'm hoping that it will diminish in a few days when he realizes that he does not actually get what he wants when it does it. ARGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it is so hard! It just seems so much easier to give in sometimes. I really hope this phase is shorter for her than it was for her older sister though. Right now I feel like she spends most of her time lying on the ground in hysterics over not getting what she wants. Grr! At least we know it's not just our kids, but the developmental phase, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste