Skip to main content

Youtheory Supplements: Product Review


Did you notice that since the Covid-19 pandemic started, there are stories about how to boost immunity all over the media plus ads for supplements that are supposed to increase immunity everywhere?

So far, only Vitamin D seems to show any lick of connection with Covid-19 infections, and the very preliminary findings are that there seems to be a link between those who get the most severe cases of Covid and Vitamin D deficiency.

Aside from that, the best way to keep your immune system in good shape is focusing on the macro-level lifestyle variables: don't smoke, limit alcohol, get enough sleep, exercise, and eat lots of plants. All of this also helps with stress management and yes, excess stress can strain your immune system.

Differences in immunity, according to researchers, is, in large part, determined by genetics, so not much we can do about that. As I always tell my counselling clients, focus on what you can control, which is, lifestyle.

In any case, there are other reasons besides immunity to take supplements of various kinds. I take Vitamin D, iron, probiotics, CoQ10, magnesium and B2 daily (the last 2 for control of migraines). Adam takes his own cocktail of supplements and we have our kids take Vitamin D.

Recently, Youtheory sent me their 2 trademark products to try: Collagen vanilla powder, and Turmeric tablets. I have used both collagen and turmeric in the past but not recently. I gave Adam the collagen to take to ward off the wear and tear he gets from his long distance running, and I was happy to try the turmeric.

Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory so the timing is perfect because since the pandemic started, I guess because of stress, I have been breaking out like crazy. I mean like I have never had so much acne in my entire life! It's been very annoying.

Adam has been putting the collagen powder in his smoothies. The bottle says it takes 5 months to work so we can't really give you any data on its efficacy, but he said he does not notice the powder at all so it clearly mixes well. It's very clean with just collagen, vitamin C and biotin plus natural vanilla flavour and silicon dioxide. It is definitely not for vegans as the collagen comes from animals.

The medicinal ingredients in the turmeric pills includes turmeric as well as olive leaf (an antioxidant) and black pepper. I have been taking them for about 3 weeks and my acne has calmed down a bit, though, again, this is not scientific data, but if my acne does continue to improve, I will buy more turmeric once I finish the bottle because I am willing to invest a bit more time in testing its efficacy (I really want my skin to clear up!).

Youtheory is a U.S. company that started with collagen and Turmeric manufacturing. They now sell a wide variety of other supplements too. The prices are reasonable and they are widely available online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste