Skip to main content

Chicken Tajine

For our anniverary dinner I wanted to make something a little special for Adam and I.  I think Moroccan food definitely fits the bill.  How can you NOT like Moroccan food?  I always wished Adam and I came from Sephardic backgrounds instead of Ashkanazi, because the Jews from North Africa eat WAY better food than what is traditionally eaten by us folks from Eastern Europe.

A tajine is actually an earthenware pot in which stews in Morocco are often cooked.



I don't have one, but I promise you it is not necessary in order to create an incredibly mouth-watering stew.  I couldn't believe how easy this dish was, especially given how fabulous it turned out.  You really just dump all the ingredients into a large stew pot and let it simmer until the meat is cooked. 

I roasted my veggies in the oven and then added them in towards the end because my stew pot wasn't large enough to cook everything down.  But this worked out amazingly because the veggies got carmelized and then when I stirred them into the tajine before serving, they absorbed all the yummy flavours of the sauce.

Its the perfect balance of salty (from the olives), sweet (from the prunes), spicy (from the harissa), and tangy (from the lemon and tomatoes).  You could even make a great vegan dish by subbing chickpeas for the chicken and vegetable stock for the chicken stock.

This makes a lot, so it is a perfect recipe if you are feeding a crowd, or want leftovers.  And believe me, you will want leftovers!  It also freezes well so you can have another scrumptious meal waiting for you when you are short on time to cook.

Serve over saffron rice (made with brown basmati rice) as I did, or quinoa, or whole grain couscous.

Chicken Tajine

2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Onion, thinly sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbls harissa spice blend (President's Choice makes one, and you can also find it at William Sonoma...for twice the price!)*
1 cup pitted green olives
1 cup prunes (or raisins)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1-680ml jar passata (strained tomatoes)
Juice of 1 lemon
Handful fresh mint, chopped
Handful fresh parsley, chopped
Kosher salt, to taste

Place onion, garlic, chicken, olives, prunes and seasonings in a large pot over medium heat.  Once onions and chicken start to sizzle, pour in stock, juice and tomato puree and stir everything together.  Make sure chicken is completely covered and add more stock, if necessary.  Turn heat to low and cover pot.  Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through (about an hour).  Stir in mint and parsley just before serving.  Serve over rice, quinoa or couscous.

*Harissa is somewhat spicy, so use less if you want less heat.  You can make your own with a combination of hot chili or cayenne pepper, coriander, chili powder, cumin and caraway seeds.

Veggies

2 lb parsnips, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 small zucchini, quarted lengthwise and then cut into thirds
2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbls red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste

Toss veggies with vinegar and seasonings.  Spread on foil lined baking sheets and bake at 350F for about 45 minutes.  Stir into tajine before serving.

Actually, I realized later on that it would have been most appropriate to make my homemade vegetarian pizza for our dinner, since this is what I made the night he proposed to me.  No regrets though, this was a fantastic meal!

Comments

  1. Your blog has been nominated for our top 30 mom blogs for Toronto Mom Now! Pls. see our website for more info: http://www.torontomomnow.com/2012/30-favourite-toronto-mom-blogs/.

    Pls. email me on Aisha@crispmedia.ca and I can send you further instructions on how to be featured on our top 30 blogs.

    I tried to email you directly but I got a bounce back.

    Many thanks,
    Aisha Tejani
    Online Coordinator Crisp Media

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste