Skip to main content

Lots of Fish...

No I am not posting about the dating world...after almost 12 years with Adam, I am definitely not current with living the single life. 

Today I'm posting about actual fish in the actual sea.  The kind you eat, if you are aren't vegetarian or vegan, that is.

I've had a love-hate relationship with fish over the past few years.  I always loved fish until I got pregnant with Big A.  Then during my pregnancy, aside from sardine and tuna sandwiches, I lost my taste for fish.  Figures that tuna is one of the fish you need to limit during pregnancy!  Instead, I developed an insatiable craving for red meat and broke my 9 year commitment to avoiding it after my mother's breast cancer diagnosis.  This preference for red meat was heightened when I was pregnant with Little A, and again, aside from tuna and sardines, I lost my taste for fish.  In fact, I don't think I ate a single grilled or broiled fish fillet during that entire pregnancy! 

Slowly, since Little A was born, my taste for fish has come back.  I am also happy to say my cravings for red meat have also abated.  Yes, the sight and smell of a braised lamb shank can make me drool, but I now generally avoid eating red meat without feeling deprived.  In contrast, my fish consumption is at an all-time high.  I love making trout or salmon for dinner, and fish and shellfish often appear in my lunches.  There are so many varieties and so many ways  to prepare fish to suit anyones taste.

Eating fish can be extremely beneficial for your health - it has positive effects on cardiovascular health and cognitive development, however, warnings about the potential negative effects of mercury levels and toxins in certain types of fish has left many consumers confused about which fish and how much fish is safe to eat.  This issue is extremely complicated since acceptable amounts vary by sub-population (e.g. there are special guidelines for pregnant women), and type of fish.  Then there are also concerns about declining populations of particular species that have been overfished, or the environmental effects of farming various fish.  It leaves many people tearing their hair out trying to figure out whether or not to bother making fish a part of their diet.

Fortunately, the information to assist you in making informed decisions about eating fish.  For example, the FDA provides a list of mercury content of various fish here: http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115644.htm.  Unfortunately, this table does not tell you how much is safe to eat and for whom, based on the mercury levels.

Likewise, David Suzuki's website has a document outlining the most environmentally-friendly choices: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/publications/downloads/2010/SEACHOICE_alertcard09.pdf, but this document doesn't mention mercury or health risks anywhere.

I was pleased to find that the Washington State Department of Health has a comprehensive chart outlining the safety of various types of fish, and specifies safe amounts for various populations: http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/oehas/fish/fishchart.htm.  You can even print this chart or order a wallet-sized version, which makes it super handy for having with you at the grocery store.  It even highlights the types of fish that are less environmentally friendly!

Fish is a high quality protein. Many varieties of fish are full of omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamins D and B2 (riboflavin). Fish is rich in calcium and phosphorus and a great source of minerals, such as iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium.  So my advice is not to avoid fish altogether, but become an informed consumer when deciding which fish to eat most often. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste