Skip to main content

Go Insane and Get Fit!

Before I had children I never believed it was possible to be REALLY fit without going to a gym and using expensive machines.

It was only when I became a mother and that was no longer possible that I realized the truth: You don't need a gym OR any expensive machines. You don't even need a lot of space!

Granted we have a nicely equipped home gym, but if you have nothing more than a DVD player and are looking for an AMAZING workout you can do at home, I definitely recommend the Insanity fitness program by Beachbody.


Although it retails for about $150, you really get your money's worth. You get:

*An introductory DVD with a fit test
*9 workout DVDs
*A calendar that shows you how to put it all together into a 60 day fitness program
*A nutrition plan

Now I have not done the 60 day plan, but have tried out the DVDs on my own schedule (I usually do one on Saturdays) and I can tell you they are as promised: a seriously kick-ass workout!

The best part is you need no equipment and you don't even need much floor space. So I have also discovered that if you are travelling and your hotel has an in-room DVD player, or you bring along a portable DVD player, you can workout anywhere!

Most of the workouts are interval/circuit style and very high intensity, offering an amazing cardiovascular workout, as well as exercises that help build muscle strength and power.

My only major criticism is that the instructor, Shaun T., does 5-7 minutes of static stretching after the warm-up. Recent research has demonstrated that static stretches at the beginning of a workout actually decrease performance and can increase your chance of injury. So I always fast forward through it or jog on the spot.

The moves are all easy to follow and execute so you don't need to have a background in dance to keep up and it is perfectly suited for men and women.

The nutrition plan is pretty sound and offers a number of options depending on your food preferences and energy needs. But I don't think you need to purchase their expensive protein shakes. There are all sorts of whole food options that you can consume to come up with a snack made up of the shake's 280 cals, 34g of protein, 34g carbohydrates, 2g fat and 6g of fibre if you don't want to spend the extra money.

Just keep in mind this is a SERIOUS workout program so it is important to get the "okay" from your doctor before beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste