Skip to main content

Little Einsteins

Do you think your kids are the smartest kids in the world? Well I have news for you: they are. And mine are too, of course.

My dad once told me that one of the most rewarding things about watching your kids grow up is how they learn and take in the world and how amazing it is. And he is totally right.

I have also realized that when kids hit most developmental milestones often has little to do with their intelligence or potential.

Big A was definitely not an early talker, but when she did start talking, she developed an incredible vocabulary very quickly and since then has been extremely articulate for her age. Yet now that she is in Junior kindergarten and learning to read, she is making taking her time to learn to read. Adam, has pointed out, however, that this is partly because she is extremely lazy and gets frustrated/bored/distracted quickly.

While Big A did walk and toilet train early, Little A walked a few months later and still shows little interest in getting out of diapers. Although she demonstrated astounding comprehension at a young age, she began talking even later than Big A and is still largely unintelligible, so much so that we have her on the waiting list for speech therapy.

Am I worried about her? Not really. Every other sign points to her being extremely smart and developing well. She is extremely social, understands EVERYTHING, can follow complex directions, and has a large vocabulary...we just can't understand her. She is also now MORE advanced than Big A was at this age in terms of both her gross and fine motor skills.

After chatting with my friend Megan, a speech pathologist, I think it problem is likely some sort of speech impediment. When I described how she talks, Megan said it may be she can't pronounce hard "c"s or "k" sounds, which is very common.

Regardless, both my girls delight me on a daily basis with their learning and thinking.

Just yesterday Big A asked me "Mommy, how does disease happen?" I tried to explain to her that some diseases are caused by genetics (because someone's mommy or daddy has a disease or are a carrier of a disease), some are caused by environmental factors, lifestyle factors, some have unknown causes and sometimes people are even born with diseases. So we talked about how even children can be very sick and even die (I don't sugar-coat things). "I know something else, Mommy," she said, "Sometimes when a woman is pregnant, the baby dies when it is in her tummy!" I told her this was true and that, in fact, this had happened to me before she was in my tummy.

She was fascinated and asked if it was a boy or girl and what the baby's name was (I tried to explain that the baby was so small that we didn't know and had not chosen a name. She thought for a few moments and then asked, "So did you and daddy always want 2 babies, like was it going to be that baby and me?"

I was shocked and sort of amused. Instantly her focus was on whether she had always been a planned and wanted child. As the older sibling, who is often very jealous of her younger sister, I think it gave her comfort to think that even if that first baby had lived, she would still be alive...while perhaps her sister would not be! Although this might not be the nicest way to look at it, I can certainly understand her desire to look at it this way and I actually think it shows a fairly mature level of analytical skills. I decided there is no point explaining to her that because she was conceived just 2 months after my miscarriage, that she would not exist had that pregnancy been viable.

Believe it or not, Little A already shows signs of sophisticated reasoning...I am certain, of course, that she, like her big sister, is a genious. We just have to get her to speak English in a way that we can understand!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste