Skip to main content

Bicycle Bliss

Do you want to improve your physical fitness, save money and do something good for the environment? Hey, why wouldn't you?

Buy a bicycle!

Bicycles are an underutilized, underappreciated form of transportation in North America. Many Asian and European countries do a much better job of taking advantage of what bicycles have to offer.

There are also a lot of options these days for toting your kids with you a la bicyclette. So it can be a family activity.

I am loving my bike so much today. I had a meeting with D., the director of the general therapy clinic where I am doing one of my practicums. Her head office is quite a ways north of where we live. By car it's 30 minutes and by public transport it's almost an hour. Last time I drove and ended up paying $14 for 90 minutes of parking! Besides, Adam had the car today. So I decided to ride up to our meeting.

I admit that given the distance (12km each way), I wondered if I wasn't nuts when I started out today. I gave myself 70 minutes and I worried that I was going to end up being extremely late for our meeting. It is also almost completely uphill. But it took me under 55 minutes - about the same as if I had taken public transport!

As an added bonus, riding doesn't bother my hamstring. My physiotherapist and I finally realized that the pain from sitting must be caused by pressure on that area, not necessarily my position (since sitting on a bike doesn't hurt), so I now sit on a yoga block. Between using a yoga block to sit on, going back to doing a lot of core/lower back rehab, and doing no treadmill walking or excessive street walking for the last few weeks, I have finally gotten some improvement in the pain.

But since no one really knows what the cause of all my pain is, yesterday I had x-rays and I am waiting to get an MRI.

I am so glad to have some improvement but I miss my treadmill walks. I am allowed to run all I want, but I know my knees can't handle too much running, so for now, I am doing mostly the stairmaster, plus Insanity Cardio DVD on Saturdays and my spin class Sundays. My physiotherapist would love it if I could spin more often, but I explained how hard it is for me to find time to get to the gym. Perhaps a $1000 spin bike will fall out of the sky into our home gym one day. Or perhaps I'll just have to get out on the road more.

Just a few things to remember:

1. ALWAYS wear a helmet (if you don't you are an idiot)
2. Wear proper clothes and gear (pant protectors so you don't get anything caught in the chain, gloves when it's cold, appropriate foot wear, etc.)
3. Use lights at night and always have reflectors and a bell on your bike
4. Find bike routes whenever possible.

Really why would you not get a bicycle when there are so many advantages? Free transportation, fast and efficient, great exercise and environmentally friendly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste